Indeck pellets and the PAH

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ByCo

Jan 29, 2011
Nebraska
Background

The pellets;
Last winter I bought four bags of Indeck pellets from Menards to try along with four bags of Pennywise. That night I filled the hopper of the window stove with the Indecks and went to bed. Bad Idea, I woke up the next morning to a cold house and the stove in fail safe mode, room blower off, combustion blower on and all kinds of pretty flashing lights on the control panel. The dinky little firebox, not the burn pot but the whole stinking firebox, was half full of partially burnt smoldering pellets. I cleaned up the mess and gave the stove a deep cleaning to make sure I hadn't missed any thing in the previous days cleaning and relit the stove. After about an hour the burn pot was getting choked with partially burned pellets, so I shut it down and cleaned it again and vacuumed the pellets out of the hopper and refilled with the Pennywise pellets and relit the stove. The little window stove was much happier with the Pennywise. I got rid of all but one bag of the Indeck by mixing them a little bit at a time with the Pennywise the rest of the season.

The PAH;
I bought the PAH, as a factory second, from Andy at AMFM Energy (great to do business with). Installed 02/10/12, corner install. Venting, stove adapter to cleanout T, up 3ft, 90* out 2 ft and the termination cap. OAK installed with about 1 ft rise to clear the stupid telephone equipment hanging in the outside of the house. Controlled with a Lux DMH110. Since this winter has been so mild I've been runing the stove in of/off during the day and switching to hi/low at night. The stove runs in low 90+% of the time so I bumped the LBA up to 5 to reduce the sooting a bit.

The game begins;
Last evening I shut the stove down for a quick cleaning and to switch to hi/low for the night. There was still about 10 pounds of Heartland pellets left in the hopper so I decided to see what the PAH thinks of that last bag of Indecks. I kept an eye on the stove all evening and everything seemed to be going ok so I went to bed. I got up this morning and glanced at the Tstat on my way to the coffee pot, 2* above the set point. Normal for a mild night with the stove in hi/low, the stove most likely never came off of low all night. I get to the living room and look at the stove, the glass looks about right for an all night low burn. The flame looked ok, which is suprising considering what I saw when I peeked into the burn pot (pic attached). :bug: I'm glad there's only thrity pounds of these left.

Will adding more LBA help to burn this crap up? If so, since I'm already at 5, how much more do you think it will take?

Attachments

• IndekBurnPot1.jpeg
    IndekBurnPot1.jpeg
    54.9 KB · Views: 478
Use em for traction and chalk it up as a learning expierence. IMO

Keep bumping up, till they burn completely. Either raise the LBA or drop LBF

The LBF is already at 1 so I'll bump the LBA to 6 and see how it goes.

either mix them with a full hopper of somthing else or roof the LBA and then bring it down a number at a time until it settles in i run a PAH myself at home and have tested dozens of them but i have not run indeck pellets so i dont know how they react to the PAH unit. how long was the burn that produced that mess and what were your running as far as heat range?

I would guess that by the time that stove started feeding mostly the Indecks it probably ran for about 6 hours burning mostly Indecks. The stove was in hi/lo mode with the heat range set at 5 but the low last night was only 30* so it likely never kicked up to 5.

thats too much buildup for that short a time, either its time to clean behind the ash trap plates to the left and right behind the ash drawer, or those pellets are probably best used as cat litter .

Only 16 bags run through the stove since new. There all gone now, raising the LBA to 6 seemed to solve the build up. But it is nice to know that with a little fiddling around I can burn less than good pellets if I have too. The cat didn't like them either. :eek:hh:

There must be some truth to all stoves are not equal..... I have settled on the Indeck pellet as my primary pellet of choice in my Quad. Of all the pellets I've tried that I have at my disposal, the Indeck burned by far the hottest, and cleanest. All the pellets I've burned thus far, I haven't had any issues with other than cleanliness and temp.

yooper81 said:
There must be some truth to all stoves are not equal..... I have settled on the Indeck pellet as my primary pellet of choice in my Quad. Of all the pellets I've tried that I have at my disposal, the Indeck burned by far the hottest, and cleanest. All the pellets I've burned thus far, I haven't had any issues with other than cleanliness and temp.

Are Indecks a Softwood or Hardwood?

The Classic Bay burns every pellet I have thrown at it. As you said, the only difference is output temps and ash inside the firebox. The firepot stays amazingly clean.... I buy for heat output. The ash doesn't bother me much. As this is the only Quad that is open on the sides to the ash pan. So you can literally burn a ton before emptying the ash pan.

DexterDay said:
yooper81 said:

The Classic Bay burns every pellet I have thrown at it. As you said, the only difference is output temps and ash inside the firebox. The firepot stays amazingly clean.... I buy for heat output. The ash doesn't bother me much. As this is the only Quad that is open on the sides to the ash pan. So you can literally burn a ton before emptying the ash pan.
Yeah I am going to be really bummed when I run into my first "problem".... I think this "tank" will burn anything I can auger into it..... Nothing burns like a QUAD!

I really enjoy watching my next door neighbor walk out to his wood pile and carry sticks into his house to fuel his fireplace..... we should talk sometime....

yooper81 said:
DexterDay said:
yooper81 said:

.........Nothing burns like a QUAD!

Thats the truth!!!

imacman said:
DexterDay said:
yooper81 said:
.........Nothing burns like a QUAD!

Thats the truth!!!

Burn 68 bags of pellets w/o opening the door, and THEN you can say that. ;-)

Tu Chet. . . . For the most part, thats why I am getting rid of my Quad this Spring.... You were a BIG influence in that!!!! ;-P

DexterDay said:
....thats why I am getting rid of my Quad this Spring.... You were a BIG influence in that!!!! ;-P

IMO, get the new 10-cpm now and get it installed. You'll still have some heating time to get it all sorted out and learn about it BEFORE next winter.

I'm just saying......

imacman said:
DexterDay said:
....thats why I am getting rid of my Quad this Spring.... You were a BIG influence in that!!!! ;-P

IMO, get the new 10-cpm now and get it installed. You'll still have some heating time to get it all sorted out and learn about it BEFORE next winter.

I'm just saying......

Planning on rebuilding the hearth and raising it. Gonna take some work. Plus the Quad is Direct vent and I want the vertical for the Englander inside the house. So I have drywall and siding work too. Doing it in the Spring, because its gonna take a big part of the Summer and Fall to get it the way I want it. Last stove for a Long time. On/Off only on the Quad is getting old. Wanting a Hi/Low unit upstairs because the furance already has that capability.

time to tease :cheese:

keep an eye out for the newest ESW offering 25-IP at work we call it "the beer can" due to its shape. i dont have pictures yet but its gonna be a honey. firebox based on the CPM open dump to a big ol ash drawer, pah pot top feed should be able to run this stove for quite a while between cleanouts. stove debuted at HPBA last week so i guess its time to get a couple shots posted. i'll have em in a few days will be pellet only though, not much of a market in multifuel these days with us burning all our corn in our cars

yall remember "the empty pallet"? i'll fill it soon

Reactions: kenstogie
stoveguy2esw said:

keep an eye out for the newest ESW offering 25-IP at work we call it "the beer can" due to its shape. i dont have pictures yet but its gonna be a honey. firebox based on the CPM open dump to a big ol ash drawer, pah pot top feed should be able to run this stove for quite a while between cleanouts. stove debuted at HPBA last week so i guess its time to get a couple shots posted. i'll have em in a few days will be pellet only though, not much of a market in multifuel these days with us burning all our corn in our cars

WTF!!!!! BEEN WAITING TO BUY A 10-CPM AND NOW THIS!!!!!!!

Pics are a must.. I want the 25-EP because of Looks, but the CPM based on burnability (is that a word?).

Please do tell more? When is it going to be released? Is it a Box like the PAH or does it have styling like the CPM and EP??

What a tease!!!!! ;-P Got me all twisted now. :lol:

DexterDay said:
stoveguy2esw said:

Pics are a must.. I want the 25-EP because of Looks, but the CPM based on burnability (is that a word?).

Please do tell more? When is it going to be released? Is it a Box like the PAH or does it have styling like the CPM and EP??

Look young one,

Just get yourself a nice 10 CPM, a welding rig, and some plate, rig up your very own 3 ton silo and feed system to keep the hopper full on the 10 CPM. I think that imacman has a set of plans and diagrams.

Or in the alternative get a nice 10 ton geothermal heat pump, hook that into your existing duct work, drill 10 250 foot wells in a circle around your house hook it all up and then you can choose what toy to heat your hut with.

SmokeyTheBear said:
DexterDay said:
stoveguy2esw said:

Look young one,

Just get yourself a nice 10 CPM, a welding rig, and some plate, rig up your very own 3 ton silo and feed system to keep the hopper full on the 10 CPM. I think that imacman has a set of plans and diagrams.

Or in the alternative get a nice 10 ton geothermal heat pump, hook that into your existing duct work, drill 10 250 foot wells in a circle around your house hook it all up and then you can choose what toy to heat your hut with.

Ouch. . . . . Not putting in a geothermal system. Thats defeats the whole purpose of Pellets and Wood.

Have 2 other Englanders and cant wait to get rid of my Quad. This other Englander has me Hooked!!!! I love options. . . ;-P Can you blame someone for having options???

DexterDay said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
DexterDay said:
stoveguy2esw said:

Look young one,

Ouch. . . . . Not putting in a geothermal system. Thats defeats the whole purpose of Pellets and Wood.

Have 2 other Englanders and cant wait to get rid of my Quad. This other Englander has me Hooked!!!! I love options. . . ;-P Can you blame someone for having options???

Well I was giving an option you hadn't considered, heck if you have digging equipment and get get down about 6 feet you can do 65 foot 3 feet wide silly coil trenches. I'll admit the ten ton was overboard but as you say nothing wrong with options, oh, one draw back is they don't work without electricity.

You have a leg up in that you already have the duct work in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.