Independent testing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

High Altitude

Jul 12, 2008
Colorado
Has anyone published independent testing reports on pellet stoves???

I have had enough, pellet stove sales people overload.

Harman dealer says quadrafire is junk and that they don't last/cost too much for what you really get, quadrafire dealer says harman stoves burn filthy and will make the side of your house turn black because of the bottom feed setup.

blah, blah, blah.............. :)

By the way I was in a dealer today that sells a variety of brands mail order/online (only brands where they aren't violating dealer agreement). I was there only 45min and they sold 3 stoves. All three people where from the North East.

i dunno, if there were anything like that from say a consumer advocacy group ive not heard of it. might be interesting though.

in retrospect , there has been a huge amount of independant testing done the results are right here at hearth.com member posts and stove reviews. not to mention the other forums out and about. but officially if there was one done i am not aware of it

yeah it would , manufacturers have the ability to asscertain these numbers but the cost of testing and the ongoing retesting and such makes it very unattractive for manufacturers to do so , a few do but not many , most take the default numbers for efficiency which are low enough that for a stove to actually pass the battery of tests it must to gain phase 2 ratings it simply couldnt do so with a lower efficiency capability. most pellet stoves list efficiency at 78% which is default , but most all burn around the low to mid 80's% with GPH orf around 2GPH plus /minus. its complicated how they figure this stuff out , its based on weighted average , particulate matter released , and registered temperature among other things.

Status
Not open for further replies.