Indirect Water Heater as heat exchanger for unpressurized storage?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this has been suggested before but what about one of the American Solartechnic's tanks?

It's turn key, you get it all on a pallet, follow the directions and be done with it?

I wasn't wild about propane tanks, I'm still not.

K

If anyone hasn't seen the thread yet, Gary started one a few days ago in the Green Room, with a link to a section on his site dealing with a new solar project he's playing with. He used a soft tank from AS - and has a play by play on setting it up. They look to be very reasonably priced too - would recommend anyone checking out storage to check that out.

Why not buy propane tanks that have good tags on them if your worried about inspections?

There were tags on both of those tanks. Don't know if code would say they needed to be unaltered.

JP

There were tags on both of those tanks. Don't know if code would say they needed to be unaltered.

JP
True, If you altered them they would not be certified tags.

I have a welder coming, has x ray welding experience. When he is done they should look like theywere not altered!
Have they ever questioned your wood boiler? Get the tanks welded up ,plumbed up spary foamed and boxed in and he will never know whats in the box. If he asks tell him it is part of wood boiler sysytem.

Have they ever questioned your wood boiler? Get the tanks welded up ,plumbed up spary foamed and boxed in and he will never know whats in the box. If he asks tell him it is part of wood boiler sysytem.

That's how I'm leaning today.

I'm with henfruit and maple1. I rolled on about a quart of Rustolium rusty metal primer on some used oil tanks and the inspector thought they were new.......

Just paint it up, or box it in. Truth be told the tanks will not deteriorate ever again in a closed system, and if there were a leak it wouldn't explode............ at 30PSI just a good stream oh hot water down the drain.

TS

Status
Not open for further replies.