Indoor or outdoor boiler?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirttracker18

Jan 17, 2015
Slate River, Ontario
Hello from a Newbie to the forum and boilers

I have been considering a change to better suit my situation and would love some advice from the forum. After cruising the net and lurking here a while I figured its time to get some better information.

I currently have a 1000 sq/ft house on F/A propane and a 1080 Sq/ft shop with I floor heat on an electric water tank. Neither of these are ideal and we are looking at an addition to the house in the next five years that will include in floor heating in the slab and additional heating needs for the second floor.

I am almost settled on a pellet boiler but am wondering about indoor or outdoor.

So my first question is can I get an indoor pellet boiler that can service those kinds of needs? Yes I know I will need some heat loss numbers but is this even possible? I would have the indoor boiler in the nearby shop and pipe additional lines back to the house for current and future needs.

Second, is there efficiencies to be had by going indoors vs outdoors? I assume there is some heat loss on even good outdoor units that I would prefer to have lost inside my shop :). I this a correct assumption?

So would anyone care to comment on the basics of this idea and questions?

Check out a crosslink unit in a pellet stove like a Harman. It heats liquid and provides heated air too. Bioburner has one on here.....

Status
Not open for further replies.