Indoor vs Outdoor installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rschoensta

Jan 5, 2008
Northern NY
I am working for another person on the selection and installation of a wood boiler.
Currently I am considering the econoburn and the Central Boiler E-classic 2300.

I am leaning toward the econoburn with an inside installation.
The other person is getting advice from a third party that an indoor installation would make no sense.
That it would be inconvenient and messy.

The boiler would go in an existing 15x18 boiler utility room which is set at ground level with immediate access to the outdoors via double doors with a total width of 6 feet.

It would be feasible to build onto the building a wood storage shed right outside this room which would not be heated but completely enclosed and protected from the elements.
There would be a door into this shed.

It seems to me this is potentially a much better setup than an outdoor wood boiler - although I see that some here have enclosed their outdoor boilers in a fashion and done a similar thing re adjacent storage.

Any thoughts on this.
Is anybody who has installed their boiler inside having second thoughts about it or wished they had installed it outside.

One thing I should probably add. This is going to be a big boiler.
Like 3200lbs worth of boiler.

... that an indoor installation would make no sense. That it would be inconvenient and messy.

"Indoor" does not mean the same thing to everyone, as "outdoor" also does not mean the same thing. Convenience often is in the eye of the beholder. Mess is a little more objective, as there will be some bark, sawdust, dirt involved in moving wood to fuel the boiler; a little ash when the boiler is cleaned; and a little smoke when the boiler is tended. My woodshed is about 50 yards from my boiler location, and I move a wheelbarrow of wood as needed to fuel the boiler.

I have an indoor install in my woodworking shop. Very pleased:
1) All fueling and other tending is done in a warm, friendly, well-lit environment.
2) All naturally escaping heat from the boiler, plumbing, and stack go into the heated space, raising overall efficiency.
3) The "mess" really doesn't amount to much, and it is a shop, so the mess is inconsequential.

My vote is indoor install. Nothing like being in a warm place (most likely in underwear and slippers late night early morning). Makes loading convienient, not as much a chore. Does anyone enjoy going "outside" to tend to a boiler? Not to mention the expense of added extras for the install.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.