Indoor Wood Boiler Operation Help Needed!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another question. Do I have it piped correctly? I'm bringing return water into the top and supply out of the two lower ports in the back.

Another question. Do I have it piped correctly? I'm bringing return water into the top and supply out of the two lower ports in the back.

That's your problem--or a big part of it. Return water goes down below--supply comes right out of the top.

That's your problem--or a big part of it. Return water goes down below--supply comes right out of the top.
This might just be the whole problem. I flipped my pumps over when I got home from work and re lit a fire and it's keeping the water at 160. Thanks for all the replies and advice!

I'm glad you're making progress. There are probably a few more modifications you can make that will make it work even better.

As others have pointed out, you should find a way to warm the return water before it hits the boiler to avoid thermal shock, which will cause it to corrode out prematurely. The way I do it is pretty simple--I just pump water from the top of the boiler (supply) into the return. I also have an aquastat on the return so that the main circulator doesn't kick on until the temp hits 160. This not only warms the return water, but it keeps it warm by not allowing water to circulate if it's below 160 degrees. You just need to tee off at both ends and add a circulator like a Taco 007--preferably one with a built in flow check.

Let me know if you want more information; I can probably post a photo or diagram of what I'm talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.