Indoor wood boiler - Water jacket temp

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Kegonsa

Nov 19, 2018
Stoughton WI
I have seen several indoor wood boilers for free on craigslist and this has got me thinking. I would like to build a sauna and my original plan was to find a used wood furnace, take off the sheet metal housing on the outside and weld up baskets to hold the rocks. If i used a wood boiler I could possibly heat a hot tub with heat exchanger as well. I am wondering how hot the sides and front of a indoor wood boiler get? I am guessing they have the water jacket on the sides and top of the firebox, some insulation, and then sheet metal. If I removed the sheet metal and insulation do you think it would be hot enough to use as a sauna. Thanks for any input.

Any modifications will void the UL listing. Any issue created down the road may trigger your insurance company to get out of paying a claim.

My boiler water temps do not get above 190. You don't want to make steam in a boiler not designed for it.

Is the idea of a sauna to make steam by pouring water over the rocks? That's how my former sauna worked.

This sauna would be detached and away from the house so I am not concerned with insurance.

The boiler would not be used for steam, sorry if this was not clear.

The only idea with the boiler is to add a heat exchange to help supplement heat to a hot tub.

I am trying to figure out a indoor wood boiler will radiate enough heat from the unit to use as a sauna stove when water is in the jacket.