Indoor wood boiler what to do with my dual element 80 gallon tank, etc.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonard

Nov 21, 2009
Central Maine
Ok so 5 yrs ago a built our dream home which is a 2600 sq ft Cape style home with an attached 2 car garage. The house is set up with a condensing boiler fired by propane and high cap baseboard, my DHW is supplied by the boiler and resides in an Oventrop 80 gallon dual element storage tank. We also have a 2 flue chimney right up through the center of the house, right now the 1st floor flue is taken up with our Hampton HI300 which does a pretty good job of keeping our house warm ( until the thermometer hits below zero ) and in the basement sits a Shenandoah woodstove which I only burn during power outages ( eats wood like a pit bull on a pot roast . Oh and in case you are wondering the dual element storage tank for my DHW was going to be setup for solar but I am not convinced it is worthy of throwing money at and would like to pursue an indoor boiler in an attempt to get our propane usage down to next to nothing in the winter months. We burn 933 gallons of LP a year for heat, DHW, clothes drying, cooking, and 4-5 cords of wood a year.

I have been researching indoor wood boilers and at a loss for which direction I should go in, I do know I want a gasser. Any idea's? And how would I make use of the heat exchanger sitting idle on my water tank?

I also have a huge basement and plenty of room for water storage but would probably get setup and run just the boiler for the first year.

Wood boiler + storage and current condensing propane boiler are the 2 heat sources. Your secondary piping would be your baseboard circuits & DHW tank. Read the sticky about primary / secondary piping.

Keep that 2nd coil in the DHW tank for future solar. Solar is like insulation, you only pay once and it keeps paying you back year after year.

Take a look at the Tarm Biomass site, they have a huge selection of plumbing drawings for just about any configuration you could imagine.

My thoughts were to heat my water as well as my house with the wood boiler instead of going with solar? I was a little miffed by the price of what the solar set up was going to cost, 12k was installed price ! If my memory serves me correctly I was going to need (2) 40 tube panels and of course a controller and tank ( which I installed when I built ). Maybe it needs another look. Anyone know of a good website where I can talk solar?

Keep in mind in these parts the less propain you use the higher the price. If your stove and dryer only use 300 gal a yr, you could pay 2 1/2 times the price per gallon. Ask me how I know. They are called cooking accounts.

Keep in mind in these parts the less propain you use the higher the price. If your stove and dryer only use 300 gal a yr, you could pay 2 1/2 times the price per gallon. Ask me how I know. They are called cooking accounts.

Ya I overlooked that possibility. The shipyard I work for finally got the condensate back to the boilers instead of losing it, when they did the water usage from the city dropped significantly. Wouldn't you know the following year the city raised our rate to make up for the money they were losing. Pretty disgusting that we spent all the time and money to save on usage only to be screwed by a greedy city.

Reactions: STIHLY DAN
Leonard, I'm to your North. I have a very similar setup Oventrop (actually made by Heatflo) I have the lower coil connected to my gasifier, the topc onnected to a Toyotomi oil boiler. I switched to oil after getting wacked with little useage prices from LPG. Now no one cares if I only fill up once every four years! If you are ever up for a drive I'd love to show it off...........my wife knows I'm crazy.

TS

Anyone know of a good website where I can talk solar?

Have you been to builditsolar? Not sure you can talk about it there, but you can do a lot of reading about it. Gary the site owner is a contributor here also.

Leonard, I'm to your North. I have a very similar setup Oventrop (actually made by Heatflo) I have the lower coil connected to my gasifier, the topc onnected to a Toyotomi oil boiler. I switched to oil after getting wacked with little useage prices from LPG. Now no one cares if I only fill up once every four years! If you are ever up for a drive I'd love to show it off...........my wife knows I'm crazy.

TS

That would be great! How far north are you?

Presque Isle area.

TS

Status
Not open for further replies.