Indoor Wood Rack

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 31, 2008
Montana
What do you use to store some wood in your house? How much wood do you store (1-2 days?, more, less?)?

Last year was our first with the wood stove and we just used an old rubbermaid bin that we had laying around. It would be nice to have something that isn't bright purple.

In the next 5 years or so we would like to build a cabinet that can be loaded from the outside and unloaded from the inside. We saw the idea at a home show and it was pretty cool - but not in the picture for a bit. Any one have anything like this? Anything we need to consider?

Our neighbor put a dumb waiter in his new house. Drives in his garage with a bucket load and up it goes.

I use one of these. Holds about one full cord. Hides the stove from thieves as well.

Attachments

• Wood-Storage.jpg
    Wood-Storage.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 6,219
Battenkiller said:
...Hides the stove from thieves as well.

Man, I need to build one of those. I'm getting sick and tired of having my woodstoves stolen. %-P Rick

Battenkiller said:
I use one of these. Holds about one full cord. Hides the stove from thieves as well.

With all that wood around the thieves will probably go through your closet looking for a wood stove. :)

I'm thinking something smaller. I just hate to pay $100+ for something I'll only use a few seasons. My entire wood supply for the year only cost $75!

I bought one of those metal ones 25 years ago but will be building one out of 2x4's this year, 12ft by 6ft should do fine, I also have a large fire box in the house, I go on the road for my job so I like to leave the wife well stocked.

fossil said:
Battenkiller said:
...Hides the stove from thieves as well.

Man, I need to build one of those. I'm getting sick and tired of having my woodstoves stolen. %-P Rick

Well, now, it won't deter them all by itself. I left enough room between the wall of wood and the stove to hide behind it without burning my butt off. I can get a clear shot at any would-be thieves from the holes between the splits. I just have to watch the recoil. That old .30-06 packs quite a wallop.

3157705472_cd05e7b5bf.jpg

Here's a basic metal one you can assemble in about 20 minutes.

hey savage how long does that last before you refill it again?

goldfishcastle said:
What do you use to store some wood in your house? How much wood do you store (1-2 days?, more, less?)?

Last year was our first with the wood stove and we just used an old rubbermaid bin that we had laying around. It would be nice to have something that isn't bright purple.

In the next 5 years or so we would like to build a cabinet that can be loaded from the outside and unloaded from the inside. We saw the idea at a home show and it was pretty cool - but not in the picture for a bit. Any one have anything like this? Anything we need to consider?

I built a woodbox out of scrap wood . . . maybe 2 feet high by 3 feet long x 2 feet wide (approximately) . . . has a lid that I can close . . . compartment in one section for my wood (I keep a Rubbermaid tote in there to "collect" the dirt and bark that falls off) . . . and in the smaller compartment I have my kindling and some paper. On the outside I have a few hooks to hold my hearth gloves, IR thermometer and other tools of the trade so to speak. It's not a really beautiful piece of furniture, but it looks good enough that my discriminating wife said it could stay the living room all summer long even though I offered to move it out of the room until the Fall -- right now it makes a nice bench type of seat for guests or the cats.

The woodbox holds 24-hours worth of wood in middle of the winter . . . but the top door is typically open all the way. In the spring and fall I can load up the box and close the door and it will hold a day's worth of wood -- of course this is with only a couple of daily fires.

When we began our planning for our install I was doodling one day and came up with a plan that let me build a wheeled wood box, that holds all of the bark and chips using one sheet of plywood. The fact that I found the plywood on the "seconds" pile was a bonus.

At some point I will take a photo of it when it is full.

The other thing we did when we planned the install was to have the stove and the wood rack right by a basement window where we, read the kids :), are able to load wood right in the window from the stack beside the house, into the wood box. The mess is minimized and the work is simple.

Attachments

• Wood Box.gif
    Wood Box.gif
    176.8 KB · Views: 611
lowroadacres said:
When we began our planning for our install I was doodling one day and came up with a plan that let me build a wheeled wood box, that holds all of the bark and chips using one sheet of plywood. The fact that I found the plywood on the "seconds" pile was a bonus.

At some point I will take a photo of it when it is full.

The other thing we did when we planned the install was to have the stove and the wood rack right by a basement window where we, read the kids :), are able to load wood right in the window from the stack beside the house, into the wood box. The mess is minimized and the work is simple.
I like that design, I have an old shipping crate thats looks crude so am thinking about a new one and one like yours might be one to try.

The dimensions are approximately 4 feet high by 20 inches wide by 4 feet long. The only thing I may yet change on this rack is I may yet fill in the backing so wood never touches the wall. It isn't a big deal right now because we are not using wood that fills the full 20 inch width of the box. We built it to this width to make certain that when we upgrade the little stove eventually we can have room for the longer wood needed.

As I posted in another spot about our dreaming of an upgrade I find that a couple of the stoves I am dreaming of are capable of holding 24 inch wood!!! Yikes. Then I would be back to the drawing board. :) It would be a good problem to have though.

I'm in the same boat as you since we've just started heating with wood since last Jan. Now I have a small brass bucket that hold only about 1 load. But that's too small and I'm still looking for a solution.

I've found this one on internet and really like the look & function. But it's sold only in the UK so I may need to make it myself....

Cheers.......Som

Attachments

• Firewood Box with Wheels.jpg
    Firewood Box with Wheels.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 838
More idea...if you have money to spend.

Cheers.....Som

Attachments

• ak47-firewood-02.jpg
    ak47-firewood-02.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 2,820
  • ak47-firewood-03.jpg
    ak47-firewood-03.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 805
  • ak47-firewood-04.jpg
    ak47-firewood-04.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 595
  • ak47-firewood-05.jpg
    ak47-firewood-05.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 928
  • dwr-firewood-fab_2-869x1024.png
    dwr-firewood-fab_2-869x1024.png
    61.7 KB · Views: 538
flyingpig said:
I'm in the same boat as you since we've just started heating with wood since last Jan. Now I have a small brass bucket that hold only about 1 load. But that's too small and I'm still looking for a solution.

I've found this one on internet and really like the look & function. But it's sold only in the UK so I may need to make it myself....

That would be pretty easy to make from an old bed frame, some expanded metal, a couple used wheels, and a hot metal glue gun (AKA MIG).

Status
Not open for further replies.