indoor wood storage.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i built a 2ft X 6ft tall rack out of 2x2 for my kindling (old wood fence cut to size scrap wood and som branches) that works great usully enough kindling in the for 1/2-3/4 a season.then on other side of of fireplace have a 4ftX4ft tall rack that i bought holds anywhere from couple weeks to couple days depeding on weather. Also have about a cord of wood on the deck in two 12ft racks that way it's nice and close for restocking don't usually got into that until it gets real cold and I don't want to go into yard for the other stacks. I like my setup only prob I've ever had with bugs is couple of spiders here and there but I've found that if my stuff is real seasoned nice I don't have any bugs. image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpg Sorry haven't figured out how to turn my pics on my iPhone

I used some stone veneer to make a little alcove next to the fireplace... no bug issues so far.

I have a wood ring on a screened in porch, the ring lasts about one day, the only wood in the house is what is in the stove and possibly a few extra splits if they don't fit in the stove from the last arm load

We keep about a half cord in the garage. It's stacked to the bottom of the window. What you see below was brought in about 2 weeks ago. At the height of the heating season we may get 2 weeks out of a full load. I bring a little into the house twice each day; in the morning and again when I get home in the late afternoon. At this time of year I keep a bit of kindling handy since we often let the fire go out during the day.

P1010538.JPG

Just started bringing in my firewood today, had been going day to day up till now. But I like to keep a week to ten days or so in the house. I know some will argue, but I think it burns better after it's been inside a few days, loses more residual moisture (indoor RH is certainly much lower than outdoor RH) and if the stoves been running, the wood near it dries out even better, and being inside the house the wood is going to be warmer than it would be outside, reaching ignition temperatures that much quicker.

I built this into the basement that I'm finishing. It's completely removable with bolts and wingnuts for spring cleaning.

When packed full I have about 3 weeks worth of wood. Bugs have never been a problem but I see one from time to time, I wait to bring it inside until after a frost occurs- - seems to help.

Uploaded with ImageShack.com

Reactions: pen
4+ cord in the unfinished basement. Hoping to get by on that but have another cord top covered just in case. Last season I brought it in 1 cord at a time and had no problems with bugs so I am trying to get a seasons worth(give or take) into the house and never need to go out in the snow to gather wood. If I find this does not work out to my satisfaction I will start putting it under the deck right outside the slider. So far/so good.

Bump! Lots of great ideas here, it's been a year since this thread was active - bet you all have even more ideas and I'd sure like to hear them! :)

Right now I'm just using the carry/tote bag, but I'd like to keep a day or so handy. I know it's still early for most ;em

I may pay a price for this but it worked last year - except for not having enough for the darn polar vortex winter!

Had 4+ cord in here last year - 5+ this year. If everything works out and I have "too" much inside I will just have less work next fall. If I end up having bug problems I will re-think my strategy in the future. Just really nice to have all my wood available without going outside to get it all winter. Other opinions vary.

I just like to get everything within my control done before bow season begins.

Attachments

• DSCF2559.JPG
    DSCF2559.JPG
    202.1 KB · Views: 171
I use an old plastic outdoor storage bin that we used to use for the lawn chair cushions. Holds a few days worth.

The first year I kept wood indoors had a few bugs then I started spraying my wood down out side about a month before with bug spray made for wood piles and then bring it in no bugs at all now

I picked up some 5X4X3 crates at a warehouse, took the top and front off. I have 3 of them in the basement, they hold about 1 1/2 cord and off the floor. I have them half loaded now, by end of the week the will be fully loaded. Every month or so when its a nice day out I will refill them, on MY terms. I have not noticed any bugs except in spring there will be baby mosquitos.

I put 4+ cords in my basement every fall. Never had a problem with bugs.

I have a rack next to the stove I keep 3-4 days worth in.

Reactions: BruceNorEast
I built a rack from 2x4 scrap. I used three 8 footers, two along the bottom for the wood to sit on and one across the top to hold the uprights in. Two four foot uprights. Two 14.5" feet perpendicular to the box already described.

So it would hold a face cord except for the 2x4s all fall inside the 4x8' rectangle. Very simple, I cut one 8 footer in half for the uprights, threw it together with drywall screws in maybe 15 minutes.

I keep it in the garage with the boiler. In general at temps above -20 it lasts me about a week, at temps below minus twenty I can burn all of it in three days. Once I have had a good hard freeze i don't have any bug problems to speak of. I just filled it yesterday, I'll try for a couple pics next time it's empty.

Last year I dealt with frozen tarps and way too much snow and ice blown into my stacks.

This year, I plan to stack and top cover about a cord outside the slider (it's under the covered porch, so it shouldn't get much snow on it).

Inside I have this, and really like it. The tray underneath keeps the mess to a minimum: http://www.plowhearth.com/small-tubular-steel-oval-wood-rack-with-cover.htm
(They have a bigger version, too, but this works well for us.)

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.