indoor wood stove outdoors...possible?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewA8

Jul 31, 2013
Canada
Hi everyone. 1st time poster here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A friend of mine has an old wood stove that would NEVER be able to get certified if put indoors. I have a little bit of land and thought it would be nice to put the stove in the backyard for cornroasts and to burn excess brush around the yard. Obviously I am worried about the elements causing rust, cracking etc.

Would it be possible to have it outdoors with something like rustoleum on it and re-apply every year or as needed?

Thanks in advance,
A8

Welcome. If it's left outdoors it will rust, even with Rustoleum High Temp paint. But you can repaint it annually if desired.

I have one outside. Though it isn't repainted yearly the rusting isn't too bad. If you regularly paint it you should be fine. Lots of steel barbecues and smokers out in yards and the elements.

This one isn't mine.

pe spectrum outside.jpg

Agreed, though BBQs and that PE stove are porcelain jacketed which does stand up better to the elements.

Does it have a glass door? If not I would just scrap it, might as well buy or make a burn pit.
Ageed! A burn pit or one of those modular outdoor fireplaces would be a whole lot easier. And you would enjoy seeing and feeling the fire.

Reactions: jakeyboy
Our old Franklin Stove went out on the deck when we installed the Fireview. Its been outside for 4 years now. I wire wheeled and painted it once, but it is pretty much covered in rust now. It still seems solid enough to contain fire though.
0115101648a.jpg

The stack helps to keep the smoke out of our eyes. A fire makes it much more comfortable to be outside on a spring, fall or even mild winter night.

Status
Not open for further replies.