induction motor- estimating speed & HP

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pybyr

Minister of Fire
Jun 3, 2008
Adamant, VT 05640
I was just given a 3 phase induction motor- in very clean shape, but nearly no markings.

It's pale green, and the only marks are 220 440 760 150 60 4

I know that the first three are voltages- and the 60 will be for 60Hz-

It's a TEFC type, so there is no way (that I know of) to easily look at the winding pattern to estimate design speed.

Size is about the same as a 5 gallon plastic pail.

I don't actually have 3 phase power on hand- but have an intended use if I can figure out the speed without it being a total stab in the darkness before I try to chase down proper size pulleys.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

In the absence of any other info, I'd tend to assume 1800 or 3600rpm, given that those are the two standard speeds...

Are there any electric motor shops in your area, might be something that they could identify fairly easily either over the phone or by eye...

Gooserider

Pale green sounds like an old reliance motor which is now owned by baldor.
is it steel or cast iron? (just like stoves huh)
based on the size you said Ill say it's at least 15HP
Speed no guess here
But either bring it to a motor shop or try to ID it from a baldor website
How many wires are inside
6,9,or 12

GVA said:
Pale green sounds like an old reliance motor which is now owned by baldor.
is it steel or cast iron? (just like stoves huh)
based on the size you said Ill say it's at least 15HP
Speed no guess here
But either bring it to a motor shop or try to ID it from a baldor website
How many wires are inside
6,9,or 12

I can't tell if the fins and housing are steel or iron.

It had been driving a "housing" and a Lovejoy coupling on it to a Sunstrand 200 Turolla hydraulic pump with 3/4 inlets and outlets.

12 wires come out of the motor casing into the terminal block in the side housing.

any hints on speed are much appreciated- there's a serious motor shop 30 miles away, but I'd rather not lug it there if I can figure out a way to figure some things out....

Thanks

smooth casing on motor = steel
if it has these flutes running from front to back that are raised it's cast.

12 wires usually indicate a wye - delta motor, but It's a waste to use this on a hydraulic pump, so it's former use doesn't make sense......
if it is wye delta it can be run in a low or high speed configuration
They are used to start heavy loads at low speed then after time a starter will switch the wireing to the windings to kick into high speed.
You can run these in one or both speeds.

I still say take it to a shop and have them verify and run it and use a tach to see what the speeds are.

GVA said:
smooth casing on motor = steel
if it has these flutes running from front to back that are raised it's cast.

12 wires usually indicate a wye - delta motor, but It's a waste to use this on a hydraulic pump, so it's former use doesn't make sense......
if it is wye delta it can be run in a low or high speed configuration
They are used to start heavy loads at low speed then after time a starter will switch the wireing to the windings to kick into high speed.
You can run these in one or both speeds.

I still say take it to a shop and have them verify and run it and use a tach to see what the speeds are.

I agree ,,, take it to a shop.
Most FULL service shops will test and evaluate for free if they know you'll do business with them. Mine will take ANY motor on trade for a purchase of a new,used or refurbished motor. Shop I deal with has an UNBELIEVABLE stock of motors ,gear reducers,puleys,sprocketsbelt,chain, bearings, etc, etc, etc, Gaurantee you'll learn something going there.

Thanks for the input, all.

Guess that I should probably take it to the motor shop (and it'll be great to learn things there- except that learning more may spawn _yet_ more projects 'round here <coolgrin>); at the moment, there's much too much else to do that is way more urgent before the more serious cold weather hits, so it'll stay in the barn for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.