Inexpensive Alternatives: Swingset Surround & Sandbox

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thinkxingu

Minister of Fire
Jun 3, 2007
S.NH
Hey All,
Last year, I built a swingset for my son and surrounded it with flexible garden border and about an inch of kid mixture mulch. Well, the border isn't tall enough to hold the mulch in, and I'm getting some weeds (didn't think I'd need fabric since the ground was mostly dry dirt).

1. What's the least expensive (taller) border I could use, and would adding a few more inches of mulch/spraying with a safe weed killer solve my problem?

2. Thoughts on what to use to make my son's sandbox? Thinking 2x12 PT, but open to suggestions on how to save there, too.

Thanks!

S

No matter what you do Mother Nature will still push up weeds. 2,4D will kill broadleafs and Roundup will kill everything that it contacts. Years ago you could get Prametol (sp) that would prevent anything from growing for 2-3 years. I would not even consider using any of these in a play area! Maybe a couple of more kids to keep the weeds down?

Gary

PT 4x4 for the border. Should hold the mulch well. Might even go with that recycled rubber mulch. Lasts longer, so that makes up for the price difference.
2x12's would work for the sandbox, but be careful of the carcinogens in PT wood.

My kids' sandbox is made from PT 2x8s. Fabric won't really stop weeds...it helps, but they always seem to find a way. I would make the mulch a little deeper, and possibly add more children to keep the ones that do pop up beaten down:p

Reactions: Dune
There are different grades of the fabric. Some of the less expensive ones will let certain weeds through.

I find you still get a build up of pollen and dust settling on top of it and the weeds will end up growing in that right on top.

You could use cedar for the sandbox. Should last longer than pine and a sandbox doesn't have to last long unless you plan on having several dozen kids.
Gotta keep cats out and watch any wide pieces of wood for yellow jacket nests underneath.

There are different grades of the fabric. Some of the less expensive ones will let certain weeds through.

I find you still get a build up of pollen and dust settling on top of it and the weeds will end up growing in that right on top.

You could use cedar for the sandbox. Should last longer than pine and a sandbox doesn't have to last long unless you plan on having several dozen kids.
Gotta keep cats out and watch any wide pieces of wood for yellow jacket nests underneath.

Even the "pro-grade" fabric won't totally stop weeds. When I worked at a greenhouse/nursery weeds would come up through the best fabric you could buy...and it was just fabric...no mulch on top. I don't have much faith in any of it for total weed control.

Well nutgrass and quackgrass can grow through concrete. :)

Waste of time and fabric around a house, IMO. But the growers around here have pretty good luck with some of the Dupont stuff, growing mums on top of with drip irrigation.

Choose a motivator, say ice cream (sprinkles and/or chocolate chips help), and give the kids a few minutes every few weeks to pull the weeds, then dispense ice cream and have a clean play area and happy kids for a job well done.

pen

Thicker mulch. No weed killers are safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.