Inexperienced Cutter Needs Advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Any critical trees going the wrong way ,,, I'd always used a throw ball to set a line up high and tied them off ,, then pulled them over leaving a good amount of hinge wood . On one tree crew we used what was called a Bigshot,,, a giant sling shot to shoot up a throw ball nearly 80 ft. Once we got good it was actually faster to set a pull line then to set our bucket truck up to set a line, plus it saved all that wear on the bucket truck. We use to get a lot of stuff from The Sherill Tree Company. I use to set my climbing line as well with the throw-ball, that way your tied in from the start and also allowed a way to enter the tree without climbing spurs during pruning operations, I'd body thrust up. Now they have a lot of nice rope ascenders.

I have several hundred feet of ropes,cables,weighted throw line,come-along,12 V winch etc.Am gonna get one of those slingshot tools pretty soon,saves lots of abuse to my shoulder throwing that 3 lb weight.Out in the woods things can get crowded when throwing those ropes sometimes.

This was a very minor lean (guessing barely a foot off vertical in 50 ft height) & was minimum 100 ft from any structures in the opposite direction.Nothing for it to hit.If it was much larger or more severe lean I'd have used a different procedure of course.Calm winds yesterday morning when I started,within 15 minutes of gathering the gear & walking from the garage to the tree it was on the ground.I was last on the property 2 weeks ago but didnt drop it because of gusty NW winds 40-50 MPH.I dont mind working from zero to 90 degrees, light rain or snow.But I stay outta the woods when there's lightning,heavy rain or strong winds.

Reactions: OldLumberKid
I have several hundred feet of ropes,cables,weighted throw line,come-along,12 V winch etc.Am gonna get one of those slingshot tools pretty soon,saves lots of abuse to my shoulder throwing that 3 lb weight.Out in the woods things can get crowded when throwing those ropes sometimes.

This was a very minor lean (guessing barely a foot off vertical in 50 ft height) & was minimum 100 ft from any structures in the opposite direction.Nothing for it to hit.If it was much larger or more severe lean I'd have used a different procedure of course.Calm winds yesterday morning when I started,within 15 minutes of gathering the gear & walking from the garage to the tree it was on the ground.I was last on the property 2 weeks ago but didnt drop it because of gusty NW winds 40-50 MPH.I dont mind working from zero to 90 degrees, light rain or snow.But I stay outta the woods when there's lightning,heavy rain or strong winds.
Years ago while doing a back yard Maple tree take down I got caught up in the canopy in a white out. Snow just all of sudden showed up and came through to the point I couldn't do anything but wait it out. Home owner eventually came out and said I could come back tomorrow to finsih the job if I wanted. They thought I was going to get blown out of the tree,,, 20 minutes later I was back at it, just a little wet. Rigging is good to have. We had a monster friction bollard when I worked on the DOT tree crew. We could lower some pretty big limb wood, keeping it a controlled fall as to not shock load the lower line as we slowly braked it to a stop. I use to use a lot of carabiners and loop runners as well. I would leave a bowline in a lowering line and just clip a loop runner and carabiner on for lowering all my wood , fast, and easy for the ground man to unhook. Sometimes making false crotches as well. All sorts of goodies for tree work;lol

Status
Not open for further replies.