Info from CB dealer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

greg in MN

Jun 14, 2008
Southern Minnesota
I received this notice from the CB dealer I bought my thermopex from for my Econoburn 150. Do not know if accurate but interesting reading.

Things are changing as we know it. The days of purchasing a conventional outdoor furnace are coming to an end. The EPA is revising the new source performance standards which are regulations developed under the Federal Clean Air Act. The new standards are expected to take effect approximately September 2011. After the NSPS goes through, the only type of outdoor furnace that may be available will be the new gasification type, which will be a whole new way of burning wood. It will require split, dried, seasoned and preferably hardwood.
There will be approximately 150 models of outdoor furnaces that will be pulled from the market and several manufacturers going out of business. The Classics will be available until that time or until dealer inventories are depleted.
Central Boiler already has phase 2 compliant outdoor furnaces. The E-Classic wood and the Maxim wood pellet and corn furnaces. If you are considering purchasing an outdoor furnace as a new system, or an upgrade for size or age, NOWIS THE TIME. Especially if you want to stay with a conventional outdoor furnace.
Consider a Classic with it’s heavy build, simple design, one moving part, proven efficiency, longevity and they are repairable, if needed. Several types are disposable. Buy from a manufacturer that is the largest in the industry and will still be around, providing warranty and service parts for years to come.

That sounds a little risky to me, buying one of the last smoke dragons & hoping you will be able to use it for 10 to 15 years. I know with zoning laws the word "grandfathered" means nothing. I personally would put the money into an outdoor gasser & not risk inability to use/lawsuits etc, Randy

Sounds like inventory reduction sale time to me.

We'll be hearing a lot about NSPS over the next year.

greg in MN said:
I received this notice from the CB dealer I bought my thermopex from for my Econoburn 150. Do not know if accurate but interesting reading.

Things are changing as we know it. The days of purchasing a conventional outdoor furnace are coming to an end. The EPA is revising the new source performance standards which are regulations developed under the Federal Clean Air Act. The new standards are expected to take effect approximately September 2011. After the NSPS goes through, the only type of outdoor furnace that may be available will be the new gasification type, which will be a whole new way of burning wood. It will require split, dried, seasoned and preferably hardwood.
There will be approximately 150 models of outdoor furnaces that will be pulled from the market and several manufacturers going out of business. The Classics will be available until that time or until dealer inventories are depleted.
Central Boiler already has phase 2 compliant outdoor furnaces. The E-Classic wood and the Maxim wood pellet and corn furnaces. If you are considering purchasing an outdoor furnace as a new system, or an upgrade for size or age, NOWIS THE TIME. Especially if you want to stay with a conventional outdoor furnace.
Consider a Classic with it’s heavy build, simple design, one moving part, proven efficiency, longevity and they are repairable, if needed. Several types are disposable. Buy from a manufacturer that is the largest in the industry and will still be around, providing warranty and service parts for years to come.

That date is now April 2012 that the EPA is looking at.
The only thing left out of importance is this includes all hydronic boilers. I surely do not believe CB is using this statement as a inventory reduction promotion .

"The Classics will be available until that time or until dealer inventories are depleted.
Central Boiler already has phase 2 compliant outdoor furnaces. The E-Classic wood and the Maxim wood pellet and corn furnaces. If you are considering purchasing an outdoor furnace as a new system, or an upgrade for size or age, NOW IS THE TIME. Especially if you want to stay with a conventional outdoor furnace.
"

If the above isn't sales hype with a dash of scare tactic thrown in for good measure, I don't know what is. What kind of statements are the following?

"NOW IS THE TIME. Especially if you want to stay with a conventional outdoor furnace."

Consider a Classic with it’s heavy build, simple design, one moving part, proven efficiency,.....

"Buy from a manufacturer that is the largest in the industry and will still be around"

I am scratching my head about the "proven efficiency" thing....just sayin'... :)

heaterman said:
"The Classics will be available until that time or until dealer inventories are depleted.
Central Boiler already has phase 2 compliant outdoor furnaces. The E-Classic wood and the Maxim wood pellet and corn furnaces. If you are considering purchasing an outdoor furnace as a new system, or an upgrade for size or age, NOW IS THE TIME. Especially if you want to stay with a conventional outdoor furnace.
"

If the above isn't sales hype with a dash of scare tactic thrown in for good measure, I don't know what is. What kind of statements are the following?

"NOW IS THE TIME. Especially if you want to stay with a conventional outdoor furnace."

Consider a Classic with it’s heavy build, simple design, one moving part, proven efficiency,.....

"Buy from a manufacturer that is the largest in the industry and will still be around"

I am scratching my head about the "proven efficiency" thing....just sayin'... :)

Lets see... 1 Some out there like the old style boilers... Their choice and they will buy em
2 there are many 20 yr old stoves of more than 1 brand still going... probaly heavy built
3 I do believe CB is the largest manufacture in this industry
4 The efficiency thing will be debated for a LONG time
The EPA has stated April 2010 is when they will be ready to implement new regulations on wood burning. That is for sure at this point.
Instead of people doubting this and barrying their head in the sand they should be preparing for this

heaterman said:
"

But they didn't say good or high efficiency...........

LMAO...... for sure on the "proven eff" statement. My OWB is proven too...... somewhere between 15 -20%........ Now there is a statement you can take to the bank....... For what it is worth.......True though.

Unfortunaly there is a lot of ignorance out there, our community had an Open House for a large Biomass system heating the Rec. There was a CB rep there!

Como said:
Unfortunaly there is a lot of ignorance out there, our community had an Open House for a large Biomass system heating the Rec. There was a CB rep there!

They not allowed? How about a Wood Master or Heatmor guy....? Or WOMAN :)

Seemed odd to include diryt products.

The rep was female.

Wood Master and Heatmor, no. Froling yes.

greg in MN said:
Central Boiler already has phase 2 compliant outdoor furnaces. The E-Classic wood and the Maxim wood pellet and corn furnaces.

Not sure I'm a random sample, but the Maxim where I work is a piece of Shi+. The welder pulls out of the driveway as the plumber pulls in. Fire in places it ought not be. I would definitly NOT recommend these units!

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
greg in MN said:
Central Boiler already has phase 2 compliant outdoor furnaces. The E-Classic wood and the Maxim wood pellet and corn furnaces.

Not sure I'm a random sample, but the Maxim where I work is a piece of Shi+. The welder pulls out of the driveway as the plumber pulls in. Fire in places it ought not be. I would definitly NOT recommend these units!
CB paying any of the repair cost? You wouldnt have one of the Maxim 175's would you?

Status
Not open for further replies.