Info on older VC resolute

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jpl1nh

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2007
Newfields NH
A friend of mine just picked up a Resolute circa 1980, black enamel in mint condition. Beautiful stove used very little in really great condition! Paid $200 at a yard sale! My assumption is this is just a basic wood burning stove, before the times of air-wash and secondary burn. Can anyone give me any info on whether my assumption is correct or any other info on the basic workings of this stove?

This was our first big purchase stove. We loved it. It is actually fairly efficient and does a degree of secondary burn with the bypass engaged. The thermostatic damper is great. I think you'll enjoy the stove. Where were you thinking of placing it?

BeGreen said:
This was our first big purchase stove. We loved it. It is actually fairly efficient and does a degree of secondary burn with the bypass engaged. The thermostatic damper is great. I think you'll enjoy the stove. Where were you thinking of placing it?
Chuckle, I'm putting it in my friends fireplace in his living room. He's the one that bought it but knows I love stoves etc., so I'm helping him with info etc. My son and I moved it for him today. Looks brand new, and I told him I thought he had a sweet stove, especially for $200. He's putting it up a fireplace chimney and I don't know the specs but have put him in touch with a chimney sweep friend of mine. I suspect he's going to have to put in a liner, insulated if possible since it's an exterior masonary chimney. Will the glass stay clean? Decent burn times? Ash cleaning tips? The seller couldn't find the manual but is still looking and todays Resolutes are the Everburn system I believe, nor does VC have old manuals on line.

Burn times were decent for a smaller stove. We got 4-6 hrs. with softwood. Ours didn't have glass, but if I remember, it didn't stay too clean. I have a copy of the manual for the older Resolute, Vigilant, Defiant. PM me with your email address if you want me to send it to you.

Mine was a smoke dragon, lots of creosote. Loved the dampner and looks though.

Status
Not open for further replies.