Info on pellets.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kinsmanstoves

Minister of Fire
When you buy pellets from retail stores ask them how they store their pellets prior to your sale. Ask them how long they have had the pellets and how were they stored. Ask them where they get their pellets from and how that place stores their pellets.

When large stores buy pellets they get them during the summer months when the pellets are the cheapest. They take delivery of the pellets and store them outside. Very few locations can store 100-200 or more tons inside. The pellets will sit outside for a few months getting abused by the weather. I know some pellets come wrapped but moisture and humidity plays a part.

Please remember that some pellet mills store their pellets outside for a period of time.

If you are buying from the big stores there is a good chance that your pellets have been outside from the day they were bagged and placed on pallets.

Ask questions prior to buying three to five tons of pellets.

I think it's all in how they're packaged. Never had a bad pallet or partial pallet with Heartland pellets that the wrapping wasn't compromised on.

I think all my pellets have been stored outside since the day they were bagged....Till I got them home..
Funny though the local Agway talked about how they store them inside and I always had about 5-7 bags that had swollen...

Status
Not open for further replies.