Info wanted on fan usage.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ohlongarm

Minister of Fire
Mar 18, 2011
Northeastern Ohio
My King has 2 fans haven't used them yet what advantages or disadvantages are there to using them.Also how will it affect the burn times,lengthen,shorten and does the BK shut off or turn on by itself. Guess I should read the manual but I know someone here has the laymans version. Thanks for any input.

Other BK owners will chime in here but I can say that using the fans should not affect burn times. The fans can be great though for pushing out the heat.

Another thing you can do with other fans is use a small desktop fan, put it on the floor in another room by the doorway and push the cool air into the stove room. This will really help in evening out the temperature in the house. It in effect blows some cool air in and that forces the warmer air out; cool on bottom and warm higher up.

When it was warmer I used mine to keep the cat temp from getting too hot during the beginning part of the burn, once it was settled in on 1 I would turn the fan off. Now that it's a little cooler I've been running it on low for pretty much the full burn. On my stove running the fans shorten the burn times, the BK stoves have a thermostat and running the fan cools the stove so the thermostat opens up the air some to maintain the selected temp setting. I can't say that's what all BK owners are seeing but I would guess they are. The fan will turn on/off at a factory preset temp, I'm not sure what it is but it seems pretty low. My last stove I always wondered when it was going to turn on, this stove it's pretty much there whenever I've wanted to turn it on.

Blower does make a good bit of difference with heat output. It also does seem to make a big difference on burn times (or it did when my thermostat was working).. The blowers move a LOT more air when you have the convection deck installed, I have the gold rails right now but have seen it both ways and its huge. Keep in mind your Cat temps will drop (on the gauge) with the blowers running so give it 10 mins or so after you turn them off to check the temps.

Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.