Q&A Information about choosing a fireplace insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I am confused about which fireplace insert to buy. can not find any research done in the library or consumer reports magazine. i am hearing different- often conflicting information from the stores where i have shopped. my fireplace width is 33 inches- which prevents me from purchasing the big Vermont castings and i have heard the small Vermont will not last overnight. that is important. i currently have a buck--20 years old which does not last overnight. this is the reason i am replacing it. which is better--cast iron or steel? catalytic or non-cat.? how do i tell if the stove will definitely last overnight (8 Hrs)? figures from dealers and store salespersons conflict. is the regency a good stove? are there other brands you recommend?

Answer:

I usually do not recommend one brand over another- cause there are many good ones. That said- I would not use the cast vs steel to make my decision. If you want an overnight burn- you should look for the unit with the largest firebox you can find. Although a catalytic may burn a bit longer than a non-cat- most stoves larger than 2.1 cubic foot (firebox size) will burn overnight.You'll have to carefully measure the fireplace size- as most fireplaces taper as they go back.

Status
Not open for further replies.