Q&A INFORMATION on woodburning inserts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I wanted to know about woodburning inserts. Are they all one fit and do you need to have one with a measured fit? Is there an average price or are prices dependent on styles?

I have also seen one that advertises pellets. Where would one get pellets and are they cheaper than wood and more efficient?

I thank you for allowing me these enquiries.

Answer:

Fireplace inserts are available in many different styles and sizes. This variety is for the many size fireplaces. There are three issues dealing with fpi's (fireplace inserts). One, the size of the fireplace "firebox," or hearth. Two, the actual fireplace opening. Three, the size of the damper opening & flue.

After you determine the right size fpi for the fireplace itself, you look at the actual finished front of the fpi in comparison to the fireplace opening. While manufacturers cannot make fireplace inserts for every size fireplace, they do make various size "surround panels" to cover the excess openings around.

Next, have someone inspect the fireplace flue & damper opening to determine the best way to install the fpi. The recommended way to install the fpi is to install a stainless steel chimney connector liner from the fpi to the top of the chimney. This ensures that you've matched the flue size to the fpi, which will give you better performance and a cleaner chimney. Plus, it's easier to maintain. It's costs more than just running a pipe through the damper, past the smoke chamber, and up to the first tile liner, but long & short term, it's the best way to do it.

Do a little research on the hearth.com site regarding this, before embarking. It's best to be educated as to the many factors in converting your fireplace from a Jeep to a Jaguar. Go to this link: https://www.hearth.com/what/woodinserts.html

Regarding pellets vs. wood, go to this link https://www.hearth.com/what/specific.html. There are some benefits with pellets vs. wood, but wood still remains the best economical choice to heat your home.

Link: How Wood Inserts Work

Status
Not open for further replies.