Information, Please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mom2em

Jul 15, 2009
Dutchess County, NY
I am a recent, disabled widow trying to raise some cash to support me and my child; since my husband is no longer here to take care of the woodstove (maintenance, use, preparation, etc.), I am looking to sell it, but I have no idea what the value is. It's was in the house when we bought it 22 years ago; it's a Better N Ben's - no model number or plate on it anywhere but the dimensions are 33" high at the back which slopes down @ 45 degrees to a nice wide, flattop; it's 25" wide and 27" deep. It's in excellent condition - we used it quite a bit before our daughter developed asthma a few years ago and then we only used it when it was very, very cold. I called a couple of local woodstove retailers, but they'd never heard of this brand or they told me they couldn't help me. I've searched online but can only find info about the fireplace inserts and this is definitely NOT that. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you.

Sorry to hear of your situation.

The stove in reference is a pre-epa simple box burner. They were tough as tanks. The more unfortunate part is, they are not a real sought after item in todays world (as least for the educated wood burner). Don't get me wrong, there is a market, probably in the 200-350 dollar range if in very good condition, but many areas won't even allow them to be "re-installed" because of their non-epa status.

Just food for thought.

Many thanks for all the suggestions - my husband painted it this past spring with the black stove paint and he even painted the letters and the scrollwork on the doors in gold.
I had a feeling it wasn't as efficient as the more modern stoves, but it could still do a good job for somebody (I hope). Thank you all for your advice and help in providing me information to make this decision easier - now I'll get a picture and post it on my local craigslist and hope for a buyer!

Status
Not open for further replies.