infrared thermometer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

northwinds

Minister of Fire
Jul 9, 2006
south central WI
Today I picked up the Cen-tech Infrared Thermometer at Harbor Freight. It's the one that
goes up to 968 degrees. I'm getting temp readings consistent with my Rutland thermometer
on the stovetop, but I'm getting very low readings on my double wall stovepipe. Is it only
taking the reading of the outer part of the pipe? Am I going to need a probe thermometer
for stack temps?

Yes, only reads the temp of the outside pipe, if you want to know the inside temp you need a probe therm.

If you have a vented double wall and are good, you can shoot to the inside pipe, it will be almost correct.

swestall said:
Yes, only reads the temp of the outside pipe, if you want to know the inside temp you need a probe therm.

If you have a vented double wall and are good, you can shoot to the inside pipe, it will be almost correct.

Thanks.

It's not vented. I can get a tight shot with increased temp readings through the hole on the opposite side of where
the inline damper is, but I'm not sure if that's absolutely correct either. With the stovetop at 650 and air flow
cut 80%, I'm getting stack temps at 375 through that hole. The rest of that outside wall starts at 240 at the
bottom and drops down to 170 by the top before the ceiling box.

Very little smoke (white puffs) outside on top. I got a little nervous last night after seeing some smoke
out of the stack when I was running at 650. It stopped after I cut the primary air down. Guess it was
burning off some creosote.

375 is most likely close to the mark. You might get a puff or two before the secondaries are in, you aren't burning all the smoke w/o them.

650 is certainly a good stovetop.

If you need a probe thermometer we have condor ones at the shop. We could even ship it out if you want. I think they are like $16. Super easy to install, just drill a hole and slide it in. Has a magnet so it stays in the hole.

Sounds like its running good.

jtp10181 said:
If you need a probe thermometer we have condor ones at the shop. We could even ship it out if you want. I think they are like $16. Super easy to install, just drill a hole and slide it in. Has a magnet so it stays in the hole.

Sounds like its running good.

I'm really pleased with it so far, jtp. I think I'll save it for a summer project. It's been burning really
clean on 2 year old hickory and oak. Definitely worth the wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.