Ingenious ideas??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mlasko

Sep 24, 2008
Western PA
Anybody have any interesting setups or modifications on building a "chute" through which to throw wood down into the basement? I have a standard window wells and my basement windows are below grade, so the fit would be tight. Just looking for ideas and to see how others have faired with this project.

Depending on how big your pieces are, you could put a piece of plywood in the window and then insert a piece of 8" stovepipe through the ply and up to where it is convenient to drop stuff in. Although you could only load one piece at a time into the pipe. However the ply could be removable so that you only need to set it up a few times to help keep the heat in the basement.

J.P.

Find an old truck bed liner and cut it 8' x the width of your window. Then nail a couple of 2x4s to it and brace accordingly. That truck bed liner is slicker than warm snot on a cold brass door knob .

I would use a couple of 2x4s for the sides of the trough. Take some 8" round duct but don't lock the seam. Nail one side of the seam on one 2x4 and likewise on the other side forming a half pipe.

Having plenty of leftover scraps, we used 2 - 2x8x10' for side rails and 3/4" plywood for the slide. We covered the plywood with sheet metal (leftover flashing) to minimize splintering and make it slick. A big hook on each side connected to a big eye in the joists suspended the slide just off the casement window framing (and kept the slide from "walking")

Trained monkeys.

I use my cellar hatchway as a wood bin. I use a couple of 2x's as back braces up against the door frame and stack up boards against them to hold the fire wood. The weight of the wood holds the boards in place. As it emptys you slide up the clear board and have easy access to the next {layer} of wood. You can can a weeks worth of wood in there and it stays cold so no bugs will wake up. My hatchway is a concrete precast set in place against the foundation. Been doing it for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.