Initail impressions on Isle Royale install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryD

Oct 28, 2007
Central CT
After our situation with the DW 2479, we decided to "up grade" our stove.

Our situation. We have a 1,200 sq ft poorly insulated cape. We are in central Ct. The stove is in an unfinished basement. If we had it to do all over again it would be up stairs. Our basement occasionally (once a year) gets some water in it. We are working on a final solution for that. Therefore finishing/insulating the basement is a project that is being mulled over. I am in the procees of adding FG insulation to the upstairs crawl spaces and the "attic". We realize the stove is WAY oversized for the house. Given its location and our current heat loss, it (I think) is neccasary. Our plan is to properly insulate the house, and eventually install a properly sized stove in the living room. I have been around wood burning off and on for a while. This is our first attempt at burning with a modern stove. The DW was an expensive learning curve! Not slamming the stove, it just didn't perform for us.

The stove has 3' of single wall (new to this stove) with a flue gas probe 18" off the griddle and a butterfly damper about 3' off the griddle. The single wall goes into a double wall 90 degree elbow, wich goes into class A Metal Fab pipe. The class A goes through the foundation and then up 24' out side the envelope of the house. It is on the southern side of the house.

I installed the stove and went through the break in fires yesterday and last night. Even with the basement door open, the vent fan over the stove on, the fire alarms went off at least 8 times. With the DW the odor was about a third for the breakin fires. Even now we can still smell the paint odor. I did clean off as much of the vegetable oil off the griddle as I could.

I did my third and final break in fire at 9:00 pm last night. At 6:00 am this morning the stove top (measure at the rear of the stove top in front of the stove pipe/rear of the griddle) was still 200 degrees and the stack temp was about the same. I was able to get a fire going and load with three more Red Maple 3"-4" splits in about 10 minutes. It is now 8:30 and the stove top temps are at about 525 and the stack temp (via probe) is about 700 degrees. The butter fly damper is about 90 % closed

Any thoughts? What are we doing correct? What are we doing incorrect? What should we be aware of with the described system?

So far the stove is a vast improvement over the DW. Time will tell!

Larry D

The changes to our system include the stove (obviously), single wall pipe, and a butterfly damper. The wood that we have has been split and stacked for two years. I am currently using some Red Maple.

Sounds good to me? Were you having problems with anything?

If you search for "odor" or "smell" you should find lots of posts where everyone tells people, it will go away eventually.

I'm not surprised at the smell/odor. We were prepared for it. Relative to the DW it is significantly more intense. It is subsiding.

Larry D

So far it sounds like you are doing fine. What are the outside vs inside temps?

Just curious, why single wall and not double-wall all the way to the stove?

Keep us posted and let us know when you have some shots in the Picture Perfect section. This is a real pretty stove.

Outside temps were about 29 this morning.

The reason for the single wall pipe is two fold.
#1. My dealer felt that at minimum it might help a little with the apparent over draft by shedding some heat into the room.
#2. This stove is actually 4" or so shorter and my existing double wall didn't fit.

I also installed the butterfly damper in the single right up near the 90 elbow. I'm glad I did. With the damper 90% closed the stove is still pulling farely hard. I have the primary air control slid about 80% to the right and I still have stove top temps of about 525.

Larry D

The Isle Royal is a hot burning stove, I just started using mine as well. Burn off - well it smelled a lot - but went away. The most important thing I have learned is that the temp on that thing cranks up. I went and bought a stove fan just to keep temps down on the stove top - a little.

I light it and come back 8 hours later to at least 200 degree temps and an easy relight.

You will like the stove once you get used to the temps it runs at.

There are a small number of us on here who have the same stove. I can't imagine this stove in a small house. We have a great room and open floor plan - 1900 sq feet and its nice and toasty, and I have yet to crank the stove up.

Status
Not open for further replies.