Initial impressions on my new Speeco 28 ton splitter.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MountainStoveGuy

Minister of Fire
Jan 23, 2006
Boulder County
On a very spur of the moment decision, i went out and bought a splitter from a local farm supple store down in the valley. Since there was little to no research done before hand, i had a hard time choosing between there two models. They had a 22 ton, and a 28 ton. The 22 ton was $1149 and the 28 ton was $1499. The 28 ton has a 10.5 brigs and stratton engine to drive it. If you want to check out the specs here is a link . I went with the 28 ton because of my altitude, every time i have bought what i thought i needed i usually need one step bigger. This proved to be the case with this piece of equipment. So far, it has handled every thing i have thrown at it, the return rate is fast, the ergonomics seem well thought out, and there is plently of power. Today, it bogged down for the first time on a wet round that was 34+ inces in diameter and 20 inches long. There was lots of branch nodes in the round, i dont think it would have been possible to split it by hand no matter how many wedges you had. It was a job for the splitter, but it got er done.
So.. here are the good points,
Relativly affordable
lots of power
very well constructed
very ergonomic
can be used in horizontal and verticle orentation

bad points
Engine is a pain in the arse to start. takes 6-10 pulls.
Gas tank is a little small, it will run 1.5-2 hrs worth of splitting
A bit noiser then the honda engine option would have been, but not bad, no earplugs needed or anything

Here are the specs for this model.

Here is the manual

Model I Beam Cyl return rate
LS401213 28 tons 6-1/2" x 8" 4-1/2" x 24" Auto-return 2-stage 16 gpm 12 sec Briggs & Stratton10.5 H.P.I/C 655

Ryan, I bet if you re-jet the carb it would start a lot easier, make more power, less fuel etc. Speeco is located in Golden, maybe they could give you an idea on jetting. When I was racing with the MRA I always had to lean out the carbs a fair amount at the Steamboat races, the bike was really fat on part throttle, starting, out of corners, etc.

I've owned several Briggs engines and I discovered if you let the engine idle for a minute or two to cool down before you shut it off it starts alot easier the next time you use it. If that doesnt work I would rejet like rdrcr says.

Ryan,
Along with re-jetting the carb, ask them if a hotter spark plug would help. My cabin is at 8000 ft. Re-jetting the carb and putting in a hotter spark plug made
ALL the difference in the world on my atv as far as improving the starting....starts on a dime now. It also gave it a bit more power. I noticed the improved starting the most. It had more than enough power anyway. Don't know why that wouldn't apply to a splitter with a big gas engine.

Stickburner

Status
Not open for further replies.