Injury chart...........

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Robbie said:
Interesting injury location chart for chainsaw injuries.

http://www.elvex.com/facts08.htm

Robbie

Interesting, kind of makes you think how much protection you got in your boots, Roospike has a pair of Matterhorn
safety boots that I think contain metal all the way up to ankle , . . . too bad they so $$$

That chart does make you think ...................

You always have to be clear headed and think about what your doing and what others are doing around you. When cutting with others I always stop the saw once in a wile and take a look around just to see where everybody is at. When cutting wood with others i always like to have a safety meeting before starting to talk about safety and what we are all planning on doing.

I always like to throw out there the point to not stand on somebodys left side ! It seems you always have somebody walk up on your left side to help you out or to see what your doing.

I try to scan out to see if anybody is tired before hand and during cutting , thats a huge NO-NO when running a chainsaw. I have no problems with a lot of breaks during the day.

I did a "no no" the other day.........I was running the saw a bit and had leather gloves on. Revved it up and for some reason reached accross the bar while the blade was still moving and I layed my hand on the chain for some stupid reason.......luckily my leather glove held up and did not tear..........and my chain was slowing down.

If my chain were sharper and moving faster, I would be in pain right now. :ahhh:

I just shut it off and said..........there you go stupid ! :p

Robbie

I did a no-no the other day also, I was clearing an irrigation ditch and the ditch rider wanted to keep all the slash on the east side of the ditch so I cut down a 24in. cottonwood on the west side and dropped it across the ditch to the east. To cut the limbs I had to walk out on the tree, you know when you get one of those thoughts that this isn't such a good idea, we'll I had one of those. Long story short, I slipped just after cutting a 6in. limb touched the chain to my upper thigh while it was slowing down. My pants wadded up the chain and stopped it with a little cut to my leg. So the moral of the story is there wont be a second time and I'll be wearing chaps next time I run the saw.

Now you guys are making me nervous.

I've never come close to cutting myself, but tomorrow's always another opportunity to screw up.

One thing that helps me stay focused are those times when you get snapped on the knuckles with a twig or snapped on your face by a branch or jabbed in the leg with a piece of slash. I think to myself, if that little branch hurt that much, I definitely don't want to know what a big one feels like. Kind of humbles you.

Roo's right on the money as usual. It's fatigue that kills more loggers than anything else. Get tired and you lose focus and do something stupid or forget to take adequate precautions. Unlike Roo, I don't like to slow down or stop once I hit my stride, but don't hesitate to quit when I start to tire.

Status
Not open for further replies.