Inline filter in central duct on RSF Onyx

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LLigetfa

Minister of Fire
Nov 9, 2008
NW Ontario
This is my second Onyx. I had installed an Onyx in my former home and noticed that the central blower option blew dust and ash all over the house. Since the blower draws cool air in through the grilles, it was not possible to safely add any kind of filter on the cold return side. I dodn't want to put a filter on the hot side for obvious reasons.

When I built my current home, I vowed that I would do it different. Rather than have the blower suck room air into the grilles, I reversed the blower to blow air up through the hole in the bottom. That way, I could put a standard furnace filter on the blower's intake since it draws room air.

To reduce the amount of cool air blowing out the lower grille, I partially blocked the airflow with rigid fibreglass insulation. It does not affect the natural convection when the fan is off as it still draws cool air up across the fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.