Insect Guard for 4 inch pipe for pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You should only need it in the warmer months when the unit is off. Not too many bugs around in the winter time & the heat in there won't allow them to live very long...

You should only need it in the warmer months when the unit is off. Not too many bugs around in the winter time & the heat in there won't allow them to live very long...
Good point. I took mine off and threw it in the garage. After winter, I remove the selkirk "nozzle" and place a pipe cap on the end so I don't need it during the summer.

Wasps found my exaust last year and I just used a plastic bag tied over the end till when heating season started and then its to cool for them to get anything started.

I was reading through the lopi leyden manual for the pellet stove I just installed. Does anyone know where to get this or did you make your own?
I also have the Lopi Leyden, I use one of these in the Spring after year end cleaning and leave it on until Fall start up. Keeps out bugs and moisture.
images

1/4" hardware cloth will keep out just about anything that matters. I don't know why but insects (bees, yellow jacks, wasps) that can fit through seem to avoid it.

Thanks for the responses. It said that it was required in the manual. I didn't know if the town inspector would point that out, given they use the manual to check for clearances, etc.

If you're worried about the inspector's findings, put one on until he inspects it, then remove it for normal operation. You really do not want anything restrictive at the end of your pellet vent. It will become clogged with flyash & you will have operational problems...

Status
Not open for further replies.