Insect Infestation Help!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigV

Oct 1, 2006
Akron, OH
While moving my wood pile this weekend I have come across a problem that I have not encountered before. I have about 8 cords of wood (mixed hardwood cherry, pin oak, and sycamore) that had been left uncovered for almost a year. I covered it around the 1st of September to keep it dry for this winters burning. I usually move around 6 cord into my garage for easy access during colder months. This year while moving the stacked wood when I get below ½ of a pallet of stacked wood I begin noticing lots of very fine sawdust and oval shaped holes about 1/8” wide and 1/4 “ long. I pulled the bark off a piece and found some sort of larva inside every hole (and there are lots of holes). The larva is yellowish in color and looks like a waxed worm. They are about 1” long. Anyone have any idea what these are and if I bring them inside this winter where it’s nice and warm, will they hatch into something I may not want inside my home. I usually bring in about 3 days worth of wood at a time and I live in Northeast Ohio. My garage in not heated so I would think the larva would not hatch in there untill spring when things warm back up.
Please help!! Thanks

Identifying an insect in its larval stage is pretty difficult. Without trying to get specific on what it is which would be the way to ultimately answer your question there are some reasonable guesses that one could make. First, I think the insects we all fear the most are termites and carpenter ants, both of which are incredibly destructive to homes should you get an infestation. Your description is definately not either of those. Secondly, whatever it is, your point that they will stay cold in your garage pretty much ensures that you will not have a huge hatch of adult insects during the winter, and the larva will burn just fine in your stove. I think it is likely they are the grub stage of some sort beetle. There are many beetles that lay their eggs under the bark, the larva feed on the wood, then molt to adult stage and fly away. Examples are the box elder bug and the elm beetle which is responsible for the spread of Dutch Elm disease. As such, personally my biggest concern would be the sawdust they are wasting from my beautiful firewood! %-P

I have seen those thing all the time under Ash tree bark around my area. Never seen any issue with them but I am not sure what they are. Hmmm is that floor sagging from a weak floor truss :bug:

i have a very similar problem , i determined they're probably something called Powder Post Beetles. google it to get info and see if it sounds accurate, mine were leaving this ultra lite powder, i initially thought it was some sort of mold, but the small holes helped me determine it was probably these beetles... accordingto what ive read they dont eat through painted or stained wood , but they have been known to get into any unfinished wood in the house such as maybe a couch under the upholstry, i prob wouldnt bring in more than what your gonna burn in a day or two, at least not the splits with the little holes in them , good luck

Youngblood is most likely correct with the post beetle. Very common in our area but seem to hit the elm mostly. You do not want these to get into any hand tools with handles else you will be replacing wooden handles.

It is always better to leave the wood outdoors until you are ready to burn it. That also is the reason we keep our woodpiles away from the house. I usually cringe every time I see people stacking wood right up against the house. Just asking for big problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.