Insert Adapter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It may be easiest to go to your local metal fabricator and have it made.

A sheetmetal shop, furnace shop or your local hardware store can give you leads where to have this made. Also, your local technical college normally has sheetmetal classes where students might be able to help you.

Shari

Sounds like an old buckstove... try stove parts unlimited

Shari said:
A sheetmetal shop, furnace shop or your local hardware store can give you leads where to have this made. Also, your local technical college normally has sheetmetal classes where students might be able to help you.

Shari

Its base inside dimension 8 1/2" X 16", the out side dimension 10 1/4" X 18" and it is 4 3/8" high
Den said:
Anyone know of a rectangle-to-round adapter to fit a 5" x 15.25" flue on an old insert?

MagnaFlex said:
Its base inside dimension 8 1/2" X 16", the out side dimension 10 1/4" X 18" and it is 4 3/8" high
Den said:
Anyone know of a rectangle-to-round adapter to fit a 5" x 15.25" flue on an old insert?

So? A 8 1/2" X 16" hole sitting on top of a 5" X 15.25" hole works. It ain't supposed to fit inside the flue outlet of the insert. Just be big enough to cover it.

Thanks for all the great suggestions, Folks. Rainer, this stove is a Sedley, not a Buck. I'd love to have an exact fit, but a search shows that the old Buck vent size was 16" x 3.75". Bart, that piece looks great, but. . .I think some of the 10" would stick off the back of the stove. Stuff the gap with rockwool? This is assuming the incline faces toward the back of the stove. Reversing direction miiight work, but might hit the lintel. This brings me to my next hurdle. . .I have only ~ 1" of clearance between the bottom of the lintel ane the top of the stove. HTH is anyone supposed to secure anything to the vent?! The only thing I can think of is to pull it out and tilt the stove back so that the vent is back inside the fireplace, and then prop it up like this with plastic car ramps wedged under the front. Even if this worked, I can see my freshly installed adapter + liner slamming forward against the lintel as I tried to gently slide the beast down the ramps and back into the FP. Ugh! Ideas?

Double walls + a rudimentary baffle prevent fastening to the vent from inside the stove, but what if I attach a couple of small stainless cables to the adapter, run them through the baffle and anchor to something inside the firebox? Cables would fry?

Status
Not open for further replies.