Insert advice here

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mantle

Nov 16, 2014
Dallas, TX
we have electric heat. I love the thought of having a perpetual, productive fire at the hearth during cold weather. 3000 sqft in TX. I need something that compliments my mantle (pic attached) and masonry. Lopi Freedom Bay looks great. Please provide me with advice!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 130
I am not sure what kind of temperatures you get for lows in Texas and how well is your house insulated but 3000sf will be tough to heat for any insert.

I am not sure what kind of temperatures you get for lows in Texas and how well is your house insulated but 3000sf will be tough to heat for any insert.
Lows typically in the 30s or 40s. I could use the electric heat to supplement on really chilly nights. We keep it cool too...65 is comfortable...

That large wood mantel overhang could present a clearance issue. It looks like a big heat trap.

Will a blower help to push the heat past the trap? Floor of hearth to bottom of overhang is 36".

It is not just about getting the heat past the mantel but more about having the required clearance to not have it burn up some day. 11" mantel clearance will be really tough to get and there is often a max depth the mantel can have. Plus, your fireplace is wide but not that high. I am really not sure which insert would fit in there. Must be something pretty small but that would never heat 3000 sqft even in your mild climate.

Do you have any other place to put a freestanding stove? In theory you could take the mantel off and redo the fire place to fit an insert but it would be a lot of work plus your mantel is so beautifull it would be a sin to take it off.

Do you have any other place to put a freestanding stove? In theory you could take the mantel off and redo the fire place to fit an insert but it would be a lot of work plus your mantel is so beautifull it would be a sin to take it off.

Such a shame! How much clearance is required?

Thank you for your help!

Such a shame! How much clearance is required?

Thank you for your help!

Each stove has its own set of clearances set by the manufacturer - All of which you should be able to find on their websites.

I think that rule of thumb would be that a flush insert will require less of a clearance.

Status
Not open for further replies.