Insert Advice Needed Please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WNY PAT

Oct 28, 2008
Western New York
Hello All,

My mother has an old-fashioned fireplace and wants to slide an inset in. The house is 1600 SF, insulation is fair at best and there will be some circulation issues among the downstairs rooms. Nice open staircase should have the 2nd floor comfy. I'm not looking to start a brand war or anything - just maybe narrow my search down to 3 or 4 manufacturers. Important considerations are her being able to see the fire and a blower of course. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Fireplace dimensions? That could limit your choice significantly. Can you post a picture of the fireplace?

What's available near by? You're probably going to want to go kick some tires.

A rough diagram of the house lay out, and pics of the FP, and dimensions like Fred suggested would be a big help, too.

Welcome to the forums !

She's going to need wood, too, if she doesn't already have some.

Thanks for the replies so far - took me awhile to get out there to take measurements. The fireplace is 24" deep, 26" high and tapers front to back from 37" to 33" wide. The house is not ideal for circulation but some fans ought to get the job done. As for wood - she's got about 5 or 6 face cords of hard maple and ash - well seasoned so that ought to get her started. Thanks again!

Depending on what is available locally, budget and aesthetics, any of the major brands would probably have a stove that fits. Look at inserts in the ~2 cu ft range. Maybe start with looking for a Jotul C450 and a PE Super insert if locally available? Also check around on the installers. You'll want something done well for mom.

Status
Not open for further replies.