Insert Advise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Medic6973

Nov 2, 2011
Long Island, NY
I'm planning on buying a pellet insert for my old fireplace. I've been doing a good bit of research, and I think I've narrowed down my choices to either the Quadra Fire Mt Vernon AE insert, or the Enviro M55. I've used the search feature on this site and read a lot of good information. What I'm really trying to figure out is the pros/cons between these two specific units.

I'd appreciate any help, thanks.

In my opinion, I would suggest you also look into the Harman Accentra Insert. It is one of the very best inserts on the market today.

I looked at the Accentra, but I think it might be a little underpowered for my needs. I have a little bit better than 2500 sq/ft, and my goal is to make this the primary heating source with the oil burner as back up.

I like the m55 cast. They are both nice inserts. I have a quad now, Santa Fe insert . Its been bullet proof pretty much. Had a few stupid things, Jammed pellets etc. So I am impressed with the quad reliability. But for some reason If I had to chose I would take the enviro , just an opinion

I have a Harman Accentra Insert heating my 2000+ sq ft 2 level house. No supplemental heat the Accentra heats the whole thing.

If they would do away with the auto dump burnpot, fix some phantom problems with the thermostat/controller and make it on sliding rails, I would recommend the Mt. Vernon insert. These in my opinion are it's weaknesses. Otherwise, it is a beautiful unit and very quiet.

The M55 used to be even more quiet than the Mt Vernon, but they have since updated the convection blower to one that puts out a lot more air, so I'd have to say it is slightly more noisy than the Mt Vernon now. But, it doesn't have the cons I mentioned above. It's burn pot agitator works flawlessly. It also has a much bigger ashpan. I usually empty mine once a week, but I could go longer...maybe 2 weeks. It slides out on rails (you have to purchase or build separately...cost me about $10 and two pieces of angle iron).

The Accentra is a nice unit also. It's rail system is even better than the M55's as it takes into account the OAK connection and not only the exhaust like the M55. It is less BTU, but is a well thought out stove. But, it doesn't have an automatic cleaning burn pot.

Status
Not open for further replies.