Insert and liner question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CheaperthanYou

Feb 11, 2013
Levittown
So it was warm here today an I decided to pull out my insert and cut my damper frame so I could Get my insert about 10 inches back into the fireplace.

Wen I pulled the insert out my 90deg stainless swivel connection came apart. I cannot re assemble it, as its totally bent

Can I use a black stove swivel 90 from lowes until I can get my hands on the stainless one? 2-4 days shipped to my door. No one local stocks them

Why not? The free standing stove guys use 'em all the time

Yeah. I used one for a whole season in the fireplace until I could get a fixed stainless elbow. Didn't want to but it worked. They usually aren't that close to the flue collar in a free standing installation and don't take the fierce heat on reload. That one was tired by the end of the season.

Figure the angle you need and get a 15 or 30 degree fixed elbow with band clamp for the liner for the next one. It will last a heck of a lot longer than an adjustable one.

Seems like it won't really fit into a tankless liner or visa versa is there another adapter

Quick bump, the black pipe is the same dimension as the stainless liner. What can I use. Wife is getting cold. Thanks

It wouldn't be the best set up (VERY TEMPORARY!), but, I'd clamp the new elbow and the liner together with a pipe band. Any local hardware that carries stove pipe should have them, they are made to clamp two pieces of pipe together butt to butt, which is basically what you are doing. Just make sure you are burning DRY wood and a hot fire, you don't want to have any creosote running out of this temporary repair!

Black stove pipe male/male adapters are all over the place. That is what I used.

thanks I finally found someone local, that had a stainless pipe and stove adapter in stock. he even spot welded it up me, and supplied some zip screws to install it to the liner

Reactions: brenndatomu
Status
Not open for further replies.