insert and liner questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flyfisher

Sep 11, 2006
Hi Everyone,

confused newbie here!

I have read all of the old posts on this subject but I'm still a bit confused. I currently have a Temtex (CFM) fireplace with a pre-fab chimney. The opening of the damper is 9" and the chimney is inside the house, top floor in the corner. I am looking at purchasing a Lopi model LX insert with an 8" exhaust. I had a fireplace tech come out and look at what I had when I moved in last year and he told me I could line the chimney with a liner if I ended up buying an insert. Before I get a permit, I want to find out needs to be done. My questions are as follows:

1. should the damper be removed (per an old post)? It seems it would make it much easier to reline the chimney with rigid pipe that way
2. if the damper is removed, should a connector pipe be used to connect the insert to the liner, or connect the liner directly to the stove?
3. if the damper is not removed, should a connector pipe be used to connect the insert to the damper, then the insert from there on up?
4. does the liner need to be insulated? I only have a 9" damper opening, I'm not sure about the diameter past that since I have not yet measured. With an 8" pipe, that might be a very snug fit.

I'm sure I have more questions I'm not thinking about right now, but thanks in advance for your replies

Hmm...here's my story...

I installed a Heatilator 42" fireplace a few years ago in a new addition and bricked up the front so it looked like a regular masonry fireplace. The chimney was double wall - I believe it was 9" inside a 12", or something similar. In any case, it was installed in an exterior chase, in New England.

After the second time using the fireplace I realized the Heatilator was a "Heatilooser"! My toes literally went numb when the fireplace was in use, and I was sitting over 50' away!!! So I decided to install a stove insert.

After doing some research I decided on a Jotul Kennebec. It only has a 6" flue, however, not an 8" like you describe. In any case the Heatilator's chimney was installed in a chase on the exterior of the house and is subject to extremely cold weather. As such, an insulated liner was a must! I would even insulate an interior liner just for the added flue temp to deter creosote and the added safety in case of a chimney fire.

In any case, the liner with insulation kit cost somewhere around $600. The liner kit was $395, and the insulation kit was another $200 or so. I got it on Ebay from Royal Distributing, which I see is no longer an Ebay member. It was a good quality liner and the insulation kit came with everything needed - everything and then some. Anyways, the insulation added about 1-1.5" to the overall diameter of the liner. So plan accordingly. If you don't think you need the insulation kit, then forego it. It might make your install much easier depending on your chimney dimensions.

If you want Royal Chimney Supply's current eBay ID PM me. I bought one of my 316ti liners from them and it came in one day with Warnack Hersey UL listing tag attached. Good product and good price.

Thanks for the replies. After re-measuring the existing fireplace, it doesn't look like too many inserts will fit (19" wide in back). I haven't been totally crazy about the whole cheapy fireplace set-up since we bought the house. Where most people would put a stone facade for the entire fireplace, somone before us thought it would look better with a wood panel facade. So I finally convinced my wife that we'll be better off by ripping the whole thing out and starting over.

Status
Not open for further replies.