Insert and surround too short

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gravedigger

Jan 1, 2013
Far Hill, MD
I am installing a Blaze King Princess insert in my fire place. The insert and surround does not cover the fireplace opening. Raising the stove I think would look the best.

Any recommendations on what I should do 30f8e88b302f3ff27fc5e59e637edad5.jpgfd808d513ef6fe13997fa7e3dcd4ee7a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Install a piece of angle metal under the lintel to make the opening shorter. Paint it black, it will be easy and look fine. It's pretty common.

There are two sizes of shrouds. Did you order the standard or extra large? Speak with your dealer please.

BKVP

There are two sizes of shrouds. Did you order the standard or extra large? Speak with your dealer please.

BKVP
This was a screaming deal on a gently used unit.

Raising it up on bricks leaves a very unattractive 1 1/4" gap at the bottom. Filling in the area above the stove with angle metal painted black is a very easy, cheap, attractive option.

Reactions: bholler
Raising it up on bricks leaves a very unattractive 1 1/4" gap at the bottom. Filling in the area above the stove with angle metal painted black is a very easy, cheap, attractive option.
that is usually what we do or just a piece of sheet metal attached to the back of the surround and painted to match

that is usually what we do or just a piece of sheet metal attached to the back of the surround and painted to match
We get new pieces of 4x4" paint grip angle metal, it works really nice. We notch the ends so it runs out even with the ends of the factory panel, paint it and screw it up to the lintel.

We get new pieces of 4x4" paint grip angle metal, it works really nice. We notch the ends so it runs out even with the ends of the factory panel, paint it and screw it up to the lintel.
we have done it that way and it works well for sure. Sheet metal to the back of the surround works good too in some situations

we have done it that way and it works well for sure. Sheet metal to the back of the surround works good too in some situations
Most of the stoves well install have a surround trim that clips on to the panels, it pretty much prevents us from attaching extra sheet metal to the panels themselves. The BK Princess is this way too.

Most of the stoves well install have a surround trim that clips on to the panels, it pretty much prevents us from attaching extra sheet metal to the panels themselves. The BK Princess is this way too.
So do the regencies you can still get a few screws in there. I am not saying anything is wrong with your way at all we just don't have angle lots of times but we always have sheet metal.

Status
Not open for further replies.