Insert blower = Ash sprayer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelryba

Mar 15, 2009
N.E. Ohio
As the title mentioned, my blower seems to distribute ash as well as heat around the house.
I've tried a few things--like not putting the wood right up on the glass, open damper wide before the door, shutting off the fan when relaoding, and moistened cloth wipe on bottom gasket--all with limited results. I know wood heat is inherently "messier" than other ways, but still.
I don't want to try a hand-held vacume--that seems like a great way to burn the house down!
Am I missing something or is my experience symtomatic of this specific stove--Regency I2400?

Is ash actually coming out of the blower, or is it creating air turbulence that stirs up fly ash when you are opening the door?

When the blower slots are right above the door, I've notice it creates a small vacuum that tends suck up ash any time the door is opened and the ashes are disturbed. Solution, turn off the blower before opening the stove door.

The ONLY time I have any ash coming out the door of my I2400 is when I'm cleaning the ashes out but I hear that's normal.
Maybe you have a weak draft problem? Or negative pressure inside your house. Try opening a window next time & see if that changes anything.

Often, the ash will fall off the door gasket on to the ash slip when I open the stove. Sometimes, I even get a "crunch" if some coals get on the door gasket, and then closed. Keeping the wood away from the glass in the first place obviously helps this, but the front is where the fresh air enters, so I don't want to pile my wood in the back--not at this time of the year anyway.
I kinda noticed the turbulence once & started shutting off the fan.
I guess sloooowly opening the door at refuling time would help too.

Burning Popler by chance?

Some amount of ash may sit against the glass at the gasket and fall out when the door is opened. How much falls out depends on how strong the draft is and how fast the door is opened. Opening up the air before the door is opened can help the draft but if the air is OAK fed, it will continue to blast while the door is open and could actually propel some smoke and ash into the room. In that case, close the air just prior to opening the door.

Opening the door just a crack and quickly closing it again, repeating that a few times can help to move the ash buildup away from the door. A careful sweep up of the hearth before restarting the fan can reduce what the fan will suck up.

The other thing to watch out for is ashes clinging to the tools. I always bang my tools against one of the andirons to knock off some of the ash before it fall of onto the hearth.

Does your insert have an ash lip? Mine does and that was one thing my installer liked about it...he said some of the other inserts didn't and blew ash everywhere.

Turn the blower down or off.
You may find that even when off, the door created air turbulence when opening, an the ashes swirl and a few will get out the opening anyways. Thats what I noticed.
If that is the biggest of my problems, I am a lucky guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.