1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Insert blowing sparks out of heat holes

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by woodsie8, Dec 3, 2012.

1. woodsie8

woodsie8 Member

Loc:
    Pacific Northwest
    When fan is on, sparks are blowing out of the holes that the heat comes out of the insert, to heat room. What can cause this???? Very scary. Door is closed. Sparks stop when fan is off.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    That doesn't sound good. Did something get sucked into the fan intake? Pull the surround and inspect the flue connection closely to be sure that isn't the source of sparks.
  3. MofoG23

MofoG23 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Western PA - Steeler Country!
    How hot is your stove? Sounds like you are sucking in dust and blowing it over a very hot stove which then ignites the dust. I'm thinking you're burning your stove a bit too warm - saying this without knowing all details.
  4. Monkey Wrench

Monkey Wrench Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    On The Farm
    Definately first inspect your flue connection. A flash light and small mirror in the upper shelf will reveal any connection problem.

Do you pull your blower unit out and vacuum the bottom shelf, top shelf and clean out your blowers? We clean ours every 2 weeks.

Let me know if you want me to walk you thru pulling the blower unit out.
  5. woodsie8

woodsie8 Member

Loc:
    Pacific Northwest
    Can you walk me through what I should do? I pulled my manuel out, so I will have that as a reference also.
    Thanks so much!
    Kim