Insert chimney clean. (Pics)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hills Hoard

Minister of Fire
Mar 19, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Finally cleaned my chimney today before I settle into a cold winter. I expected it to be a lot more blocked than it was....Is this typical build up after a year? I am new to this and expected a lot more crud!!

Before...

chimney before.jpg

After a clean

chimney after.jpg

Here is the mess left in the insert

chimney gunk.jpg

Cleaned out the insert

clean insert.jpg

I then loaded the wood box outside the back door..

wood box.jpg

Started the fire!!!....happy times!...time for a beer...

fire.jpg

While im on the topic of fires, here are a few pics of a bon fire we started during the week. I was working with an arborist and we dropped 4 big pine trees and a few small black woods. The client gave us permission to burn everything rather than chipping etc so we had a ball loading up the fire with the bob cat....huge fire, these were only the branches...!!

work place bon fire 1.jpg

work place bon fire 2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: jaychino415
Looks good.
No firebricks on the back or sides of that insert?

What a shame to see all that good pine firewood go to waste.

My big Sierra insert only had bricks on the floor of the firebox.

Chimney flue looks good and clean. i think creosote is caused by burning wet wood or on a too low burn, but i also think that outside temperature has a lot to do with it. the colder it is outside the greater the chance that the smoke will condense into creosote. In Australia the outside temperature rarely gets below freezing and we have a triple lined flue which insulates the inner flue to stop the gasses condensing.

Just my 0.02c worth.

Reactions: Hills Hoard
What a shame to see all that good pine firewood go to waste.

We had had a very tight deadline on this job and had to make profit we had to have it all cleared in 2 days, so unfortunately we didn't have time to process any for firewood......we have a job this week though where I have been promised a few ute loads of some sort of gum tree which will be good!!

Status
Not open for further replies.