insert choices

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

i3bpvh

Jul 24, 2009
MN
Hi all, new to the site, and was wondering if anyone had opinions on which insert I should get. live in MN, 1600 sq. ft. 3 level split home, insert will be located in basement. What I'm looking at is 1) napoleon 1402 $1620. 2) Regency 2400 $1600 or 3) P.C. super $1000 - used from a dealer I met that burned it on his showfloor for about 6 months - no warranty. these are the 3 that I've found for the most reasonable prices. Any in-site would be appreciated. Thanks

I'd pick the PE they just barely broke it in and it seems like a great price.

i3bpvh said:
Hi all, new to the site, and was wondering if anyone had opinions on which insert I should get. live in MN, 1600 sq. ft. 3 level split home, insert will be located in basement. What I'm looking at is 1) napoleon 1402 $1620. 2) Regency 2400 $1600 or 3) P.C. super $1000 - used from a dealer I met that burned it on his showfloor for about 6 months - no warranty. these are the 3 that I've found for the most reasonable prices. Any in-site would be appreciated. Thanks

Welcome to the site!

The PE does sound like a heck of a deal - but read the guide about choosing a stove at:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/choosing_a_wood_stove

Also, please replace the Avatar with one that meets our general request....from our Forum Guidelines....
"Any photos or avatars should be hearth or home related - Like no GW Bush pics, etc… "

So, yeah, no Cheny- Bush- Obama - Palin - GOP - Dem - etc......stuff.

You can put your car, your face, your boat, your boat, a nice view, etc......thanks!

Sorry. I do like the P.C., but it has the smallest firebox of the three, so when it comes to overnights and alway a work I want something that will go 8-9 hours. And due to the opening height of my fireplace bigger stoves are hard to find.

I assume you mean PE Super insert - about 2 cubic foot firebox. Anything in that size will be a little tough for very long burns unless it is a catalytic.

You'd have to go 2.5 cubic foot UP to safely get 8-9 regular. It can be done with 2.0. but you have to choose your wood species and cuts wisely.

Yeah, the super is 2 cubic feet, the napoleon is 2.25, and the regency is 2.3. in the long run is 1/4 of a cubic foot going to be a huge difference Vs. saving 600 bucks?

I did look at countryflame, but the ones I saw were a bit spendy. plus I'm not sure I want to go the catalytic route.

i3bpvh said:
Yeah, the super is 2 cubic feet, the napoleon is 2.25, and the regency is 2.3. in the long run is 1/4 of a cubic foot going to be a huge difference Vs. saving 600 bucks?

No, and I'm willing to bet the PE will burn longer. The Super is well known to have a good long burn over 8 hrs. Oh btw be sure to ask if that PE qualifies for the 30% Fed tax break since it's used.

Thats the other thing, since it's used the PE doesn't qualify for the tax break, and there is no warranty with it.

Price of the PE looks good, but I don't think I would want to get it without a warrantee..JMHO

I have the PE Super/Pacific. 8 hours are easy with good wood. It hates craptastic wood.More than enough coals to fire it up pretty quickly. Keeps this 2000 SF ranch toasty.

One thing, however, that sold me on the PE was the warranty. I dunno if I'd do it with out the warranty

One thing, however, that sold me on the PE was the warranty. I dunno if I'd do it with out the warranty[/quote]

have you needed ot use the warranty? other than factory defects what can really go wrong with the insert? most damage comes for improper use (over firing) which warranty wont cover anyways, correct?

i3bpvh said:
One thing, however, that sold me on the PE was the warranty. I dunno if I'd do it with out the warranty

have you needed ot use the warranty? other than factory defects what can really go wrong with the insert? most damage comes for improper use (over firing) which warranty wont cover anyways, correct?[/quote]

No, I haven't had to use the warranty (install 9/08). My worst experience so far was putting the boost baffle back in the wrong way after cleaning, and having a chimney full of fluffy creostoe in 1 day :smirk: That was fun.

Over firing is an amibiguous term, not defined to well by the manufacturers.

I wouldn't worry about the no warranty. You won't need to use it, besides that's a manufacturers warranty not a dealer warranty. I bet you can still get it serviced if you need to. Ten years from now nobody is going to remember it was use.

I wouldn't worry about the credit either. I would take it. You're placing it in service this year and nobody is going to check anyway.

Just wondering if the PE is that much better than the other stoves?? I know it's the cheapest, but it's also the smallest. The dealer I went to told me that napoleon and PE are the same stoves, i.e. they own and use the same technology in their inserts. And just by observing other forums, I've got the impression that in general the major brands of stoves seem to perform similarly, the extra dough is for the bells and whisles. Am I wrong?

Wolf (Napoleon) makes some nice stoves. They are similar in that they also have a steel outer jacket. There are differences between PE and Napoleon. Some of the extra dough is for heavier metal and a stout, stainless jacketed secondary system and better blower system. But the PE stoves aren't golden. For example, I'm not a fan of their ash system on their regular stoves, but that's just my opinion.

From the choices at hand, given the discount, I'd tell the dealer that I'll take the PE, but push for the warranty.

Yeah. You are going to have a purchase receipt from a PE dealer. Don't know what else a person could possibly need to get warranty parts from PE. As to the tax credit, there is not one word in that bill that says that used does not qualify. The qualification certificate for the stove can be printed off of PE's web site. This has to be new and has to be installed by a dealer stuff has only been said by, well, dealers. Nobody in Congress said it and they are the ones giving the credit.

The Super series from all accounts is going to get as long or longer burns than the other two with good dry hardwood. And is built like a freakin tank.

PE reps and Wolf Steel reps many have a couple of beers together at the annual show but that is probably as far as it goes. Naps are good stoves but that dude is blowing smoke up your skirt.

point well taken BB. Thanks for all the info everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.