Insert clearance question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonard

Nov 21, 2009
Central Maine
I have a question regarding clearances from my insert, I was reading through some posts and think I misinterpreted the law. My insert sets floor level meaning my hearth is not raised ( no toe stubbing ) I was under the impression 16" remained from the wall of the fireplace and I read in here it is supposed to be from the front of the insert. I am ok with that but would like to fix it before my inspector arrives the week after this coming one. My question is do I have to have 16" from the front of the ash lip or can I be 16" from the actual door on the unit. By the way it is a Hampton I300 insert.

The required hearth protection is 16 inches (US) &
18 inches (Canada) & is taken from the front of the
door, not the ash lip.

I don't know about the R requirements for your hearth that the stove sits on, but as for the extended area it seems to have become a pretty regular thing that they sell "hearth extenders" which are pcs of stove board about 18" wide that people put out in front of their hearth to increase that space per the specs of the stoves. THey cost like $50.

New requirement is 18". Manuals only have to be updated every five years or so, so the information could be out dated. It is measured from the front of the door.

Status
Not open for further replies.