Insert coming, nervous about masonary work

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pelican

Nov 11, 2012
Hi all, I recently ordered a Regency i2400 insert (thanks for everyone's advice) and I'm impatiently waiting for it. I also have a professional chimney sweep coming before to clean my chimney.

I'm nervous on the condition of my firebox/chimney etc and wonder if I'll need extra work done.

My firebox has some cracks in it and the chimney has some as well.

Here are some pics of my firebox. I didn't have time to take any exterior pics yet.

What do you all think about my firebox, am I ok for an insert?

Thanks,
MP P1020129.JPGP1020127.JPG

Is the firebox 100% masonry? When I got my insert the back tapered too much and connecting the flex was a major pain! I thought the firebox/chimney was completely masonry so I took a small sledge and "massaged" the side walls of the fireplace firebox to compensate. People may think I am nuts but not me! I definitely do not recommend anyone else to do this! But your box looks in good shape. So if you're worried get some good mortar or furnace cement and seal it.

In the future I am removing all the firebrick, lining with the tons of Roxul I got, covering that with metal and reinstalling the insert. Again I not recommending this to anyone! I came to my last conclusion by have a mason/friend inspect it and he agreed with me this can easily be done.

If your chimney sweep is worth a grain of salt, he'll be able to tell you if you're good to go. That's his job. To me, your fire box looks fine, although for the first couple of fires, that glaze my give off some smells... The chimney may be another issue.

My firebox has some cracks in it and the chimney has some as well.

Here are some pics of my firebox. I didn't have time to take any exterior pics yet.

What do you all think about my firebox, am I ok for an insert?

Thanks,
MPView attachment 82130View attachment 82131

Are the fire bricks loose? The cracks I see in the picture look superficial. If that was my fireplace, solid masonry and the bricks not loose, I would have no concerns about installing an insert.

If you can wobble the bricks, or are in any way concerned, make sure you point it out to the professional chimney sweep.

KaptJaq

Looks good to me. Seems the cracks are just in the mortar joints. You can fix those with fireplace cement. Like DAKSY said, the sweep should tell you what you need.

The fire will be contained inside the insert, as long and the chimney is not falling down its not a problem.

Reactions: David Tackett
With a properly cleaned chimney and a full liner I don't see cause to worry, especially if the liner is insulated.

Thanks all. No the bricks aren't loose, just some cracks in the mortar. I'll take some pics of the exterior chimney next.
I believe it's an all masonary fireplace.

Status
Not open for further replies.