Insert confusion

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

timmyd

Jan 31, 2009
Western PA
I currenty have a 25 year old Majestic MHC series manufactured fireplace and it's time for something efficient. The Majestic is installed across a corner in the living room and has a floor to ceiling faux stone faced wall around it. I would like to get an insert style woodburner, the Napoleon 1402 or Buck 91. What I'm confused/concerned about is since I don't have a masonary fireplace how could I install one? I don't know what is surrounding the Majestic for insulation. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

You leave the Majestic unit there and put an insert inside it. Just check the manuals and make sure the unit you buy is approved to be installed into a Zero Clearance fireplace. There will be special instructions for installing, make sure they are followed very carefully. I have posted a few times on here about the specific things that need to be done with the liner installation.

jpt10181 I've read your post on insert installs into ZC manufactured fireplaces and it has some very good information. Have you done inserts into the Majestic MHC series, and which brands/models of inserts seem to provide the best fit/results. I'm looking at a QF 3100i if it will fit because the firebox for the 2700i seems to be a little small for overnight burns.

We usually only use the 2700i in prefab units unless it is very large. The previewer told me last week the 2700i looks a lot better in prefabs also (this is what it was designed for).

Status
Not open for further replies.