Q&A Insert converted to free standing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I recently purchased a wood stove insert which was converted to a free standing wood stove. Will I have any problems getting this inspected - Code Violations?

I should have done my homework.

Answer:

Many inserts are designed to be converted into stoves. In these cases the stove has been tested both ways and the manufacturers often create legs, pedestals and other accessories to accomplish this.

If your was done on the fly and is not designed to be converted then it is possible that you will have problems. This does not mean it is not safe. To have it checked for basic safety, hire a wood heat professional (usually a chimney sweep) to check it over.

Status
Not open for further replies.