Insert could be better

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

oregonfire

Jan 15, 2017
Oregon
Renovating our house, we wanted to replace the open fireplace with an insert, but the shape was hard to fit. We were able to make the Pacific Energy Neo 1.6 fit, with a little extra sheet metal work to connect to the chimney, barely.

A few problems -
When the fireplace is not burning, it's like an open window and tons of cold air flows into our living room. I don't know why the installer didn't insulate around the stove, but it's terrible. Can anything be done now?

Also, the fan is a bit noisy. I'd like to replace that if possible.

Lastly, the installer didn't put an air hose from the outside. So it sucks air from inside the room. Don't know if it's unusual to have an outside air source, but it sure would make sense to me.

Any suggestions I appreciate.

Pics of your set up would be handy. I'm not picturing the extra sheet metal to connect the chimney. Does it have a full stainless liner from top to bottom? Likely you need a block off plate and insulation as well.

They installed a 6" x 20' ss flex liner kit. I see now on the invoice that they even specified, "no insulation." Wish I had known more to say hey, I want insulation!

In the drawing, I try to show how they had to fabricate some kind of sheet metal piece to get the top of the stove to match up with the liner. Apparently, our open fireplace was too shallow, so the stove couldn't sit deep enough. They made this piece to get them aligned.

Thanks for any suggestions about how to insulate now. I'm not sure where a block-off plate would go.

Attachments

• IMG_9756.JPG
    IMG_9756.JPG
    154.7 KB · Views: 109
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 89