Insert Cruises @ 500F with Damper Closed Completely.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

btuser

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 15, 2009
Principality of Pontinha
I guess this is perfect, but I can't shake that sneaky feeling I have a leak. Today's a really windy day, so I guess I've got a little extra draft sucking air into the stove but its still disconcerning to me that the insert is getting this hot with the primary air completely closed. Granted, I don't have the fan running which will keep the firebox really hot. Wood is 2yr dry maple/cherry, average sized splits stacked together. Dollar bill test proved negative. First year with a decent wood supply, so I'm learning all over again!

I really don't like the idea of not being able to shut it down if I had to do it, besides using a fire extinguisher. Somebody please tell me this is typical EPA operation.

Mine does the same thing,when I put the fan on high it takes the temp down a bit but it really gets hot with the fan off unless I damp it down real quick at the beginning of the burn.

Another hour has gone by and now the stove is @ 600F. Another hour and the glass will be perfectly clean. At the tail end of last year's heating seaon I got in the habit of running the insert without the blower (after the house was warm) and was surprised at how well the natural convection could maintain the house temp when the outside temp was above freezing. I just don't remember having the air shut down. The wood isn't THAT dry.

You can not shut the air off completely. Also, 600 degrees is not bad at all. Nice heat in that range.

btw, we can get our stove to 700 degrees with ease with the draft shut completely.

I don't remember having the primary air damper completely closed. Watching the firebox I'm guessing part of it is today's wind.

Two more hours and the stove is back to 550F. More wind=more heat loss=more draft=hotter stove. Self regulating. Who figured this chimney thing out?

Status
Not open for further replies.