Insert faceplate panels - do they have a purpose?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zanp

Dec 4, 2007
Asheville NC
I am installing a new Regency I3100 insert into a stone mason chimney. (Hope I don't have the issues that Shipper 50 is facing)

I was curious if the faceplates serve a functional purpose or are they purely aesthetic? If they are functional, what do they do to help heat the house? Do they need to be flush against the face of the chimney (this is a little difficult with a rough stone fireplace?

Does it help to insulate behind the faceplates?

If you seal the fireplace properly with a metal block off plate, then they serve no purpose except to trap heat behind themselves. Some installers do use them for seal, often with fiberglass behind them.....but, as you suggest, this does not really seal too well and in this case all the heat from the rear of the insert ends up getting sucked up the chimney cavity.

.......then they serve no purpose except to trap heat behind themselves.

so if I have a properly installed block off plate, are you saying that I would get more heat in the room without the faceplates installed? Or would it be negligible?

Yes, you will get a little more heat. The faceplates or surrounds are there to fill the gap between the stove and masonry. Some people like them, others don't.

Todd said:
Yes, you will get a little more heat. The faceplates or surrounds are there to fill the gap between the stove and masonry. Some people like them, others don't.

Do ya think that little bit more heat is any more than the metal surround panels connected to a six hundred degree insert radiate out into the room anyway?

I don't know the answer. Just wondering.

I cant comment on the heat part as we all know, but to me the surrounds you should get with your I3100 adds a finished look to your insert. My fireplace had burned spots on the stone and the surrounds covered them up.

Shipper

zanp said:
.......then they serve no purpose except to trap heat behind themselves.

so if I have a properly installed block off plate, are you saying that I would get more heat in the room without the faceplates installed? Or would it be negligible?

Depending on the situation it would be quite a bit - even loose fitting panels (along with a block off plate) will let some of that trapped heat out.

BUT, most importantly you are stopping the heat released from the sides and rear of the insert from being sucked up the flue....and, also creating a tighter system (therefore, better draft and more responsive)

My insert came with surround plates, and because the stone work is REALLY rough, I decided to do an inside fit with the surrounds. I matched the lintel with two pieces of 1/4" plate, mortared them to the sides of the fireplace, and trimmed the surround peices down to fit about an inch from the out side edge. Much neater appearance. I didn't use a block off plate, just fiberglass insulation.

Attachments

• 192329109207_0_BG.jpg
    192329109207_0_BG.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 432
  • 382329109207_0_BG.jpg
    382329109207_0_BG.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 463
Status
Not open for further replies.