1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Insert Fan Speed And Heat Output

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by velvetfoot, Mar 8, 2013.

1. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    So, I've been obsessively looking at house temperature graphs via my wireless thermostat, below, the right-most curve segment). I left the house today with the fan speed on high and the temp at 82. I noticed just now when I looked that around 8:30 AM the temp had dropped a couple of degrees, and the rate of room cooling slacked off. (The outside only increased a little during this time). I called my wife, and she said she turned the fan to low at that time. Anyway, I thought it was interesting. (The grid box is 20F vertical and 8 hours horizontal.)
    Capture.JPG
    daveswoodhauler likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. PoolGuyinCT

PoolGuyinCT Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Plymouth CT
    Nice way to keep an eye of the old lady!
  3. velvetfoot

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    All in the name of science!
  4. daveswoodhauler

daveswoodhauler Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Massachusetts
    Your wife must just love when you call home and ask her why there was a .2 degree drop in temps? lol
    Sounds like something I would do, lol
  5. velvetfoot

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    The slope is definitely less on the slower fan speed. Even though the outside temp (bottom line on graph) has gotten to 30F, I still think that this could show that a slow fan speed to lengthen the life of a load of wood. I'm surprised at the sudden drop in house temp after the fan was turned down. It could be that the heated air currents made it to the thermostat.
  6. velvetfoot

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    My wife loaded the stove (probably not full) at 1pm today, and I let it cool to mostly ash and small coals, and just emptied and reloaded it. Here is the day's chart. The percent scale is humidity, blue line, and is also temp. Grid is 8 hours. The gap on the outside temp line is where internet connection was lost, apparently.

Capture.JPG