Insert fan squealing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

carpenter

Feb 10, 2007
We have a Hutch fireplace insert. The fan is squealing. I tried using some white lithium spray grease which helped for 10 minutes. Is it just worn out bushings or is there something else I can do?

If you act quickly you may be able to coax the season out of the fan. Remove it and see if there are oil ports for getting oil to the armature bearings. If the fan has shaft bearings oil them too. If the fan doesn't have oil ports sometimes you can carefully drill into the casing until the oil felt is exposed, then oil.

Welcome, and let go of it's TAIL.

Yuk, Yuk, Seriouly, it could be bearings or end shafts. Turn everything off, let cool. Clean, clean, clean. Use a cealing solvent and clean the bearings and shaft end. Lube with a hi-temp spray, and re-fire. If the bearings are really bad, you know in a couple of minutes. If you can't diagnose, grab the pig.

Thanks gentlemen, I took apart, cleaned-very dirty, lots of cat hair- found the bushing felt was dry. Oiled it up. Will try again in few minutes.

did all that as promised. It is working better than ever for now. Blows more air too.
Thanks again

Great news carpenter. Glad it had a good outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.