Insert for zero clearance Preway

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

phreak

Jan 6, 2008
NH
been lurking on this forum for a bit now, trying to gather as much info as i can. a lot of good info here.

here's my issue...

i have a preway zc fireplace in my condo. this thing is horrible in both heating and efficiency. so obvisously, i want go with a wood stove insert. long story short, i found a local dealer that had a decent (at least i think) price on a floor model lopi revere. they wanted $1900 for the unit, $450 for the liner, and $500 for install. went home to check the make of my fireplace and take measurements. everything was fine except the rear width. the firebox is too narrow. the revere depth is something like 14 1/2" with a width of about 23". the preway firebox width is about 21 1/2" at the depth of the revere. so... that's a no go on that insert.

ever since, i've been searching for narrow/shallow inserts for zc fireplaces. so far i've i think the quadrafire 2700i may work. i looked at the osburns (1100, 1600. & 1800) but i think they're too wide in the rear. the regency i1100 looks nice but i can't find the dimensions anywhere. i read through the manual/installation guide and i didn't see where the rear width is listed. the vermont castings winterwarm may also work. but... searching on here some say to stay away from that company.

any suggestions as what inserts will work? i know that i'm left with a very limited selection. :long:

also... reading the label on my preway, it says that inserts are not recommended be installed. i know this unit is pretty old (company went out of business 15 yr ago or so). but... are the new inserts tested to work safely in these zc fireplaces? i would imagine a lot has changed since preway went out of business. in other words, if today's inserts were designed that same back when preway was in business, do you think they would approve of inserts being installed? i know its probably an impossible question to answer. but... i'm curious as to what more knowledgable people think.

Hmm, strange IP address - using an internet proxy which terminates in Fairfield, IA? Home of Transcendental Meditation......well, to each his or her own. Live Free or Die, I guess!

It's not really a matter of what we think, it is a matter of the listing and label on the particular insert you are looking to purchase. My initial opinion would be that an ancient preway like that would not be approved by the insert manufacturer. This would be easy enough to check by going to the manufacturers site and downloading the manual - and/or checking with the installing dealer and local code authorities.

The inserts that I know of which are approved for ZC usually state the exact brands, and sometimes even the models within the brands. Some may be more vague than that.....

All in all, I don't really like the idea of installing something in an ancient prefab like that....it is more than likely 30 years old, and that is the design life of a prefab fireplace. Also, you may have condo restrictions which you don't know about, etc.

As far as your general question about how ZC inserts are designed - well, a fire in 1977 (in the fireplace) was as hot as a fire is today. But standards have changed on the chimneys, having stepped up from 1700 max. to 2100 maximum. A properly installed liner can take care of this upgrade.

Long story short on this end....a condo install like you are speaking about should probably, for your safety and peace of mind, be approved by:
1. your fireplaceguy (the store).
2. the manufacturer
3. Your local code authority
4. Your insurance company
and
5. Your condo association.

Note that the enclosed snippet from the Lopi Revere manual does mention Preway, so you probably have covered #1 and #2 above......

Attachments

• Picture 7.png
    Picture 7.png
    17.2 KB · Views: 695
We put Quad 2700i units in those old Preways all the time. Couple things to keep in mind...

The old ZC system must remain fully in tact, refractories and all. I think you can remove the smoke baffle and that's about it.
The ZC chimney must be kept in tact in such a way that the outer shell can still breathe at the top for cooling air.
The new liner MUST be insulated to meet UL 1777 and the 2100 required listing, the old preway pipe was probably NOT tested for 2100 deg.

thanks for the input. i appreciate the help. maybe tomorrow, i'll give the property mgt company a call and see what they have to say.

i though about having the entire fireplace replaced but i've heard that can be fairly costly. and like you said, there could be restrictions within the condo bi-laws.

Webmaster said:
Hmm, strange IP address - using an internet proxy which terminates in Fairfield, IA? Home of Transcendental Meditation......well, to each his or her own. Live Free or Die, I guess!
i'm actually at work (data center) and we're not directly connected to the internet. i've seen it where it says my connection terminates in arizona. :bug:

jtp10181 said:
We put Quad 2700i units in those old Preways all the time. Couple things to keep in mind...

The old ZC system must remain fully in tact, refractories and all. I think you can remove the smoke baffle and that's about it.
The ZC chimney must be kept in tact in such a way that the outer shell can still breathe at the top for cooling air.
The new liner MUST be insulated to meet UL 1777 and the 2100 required listing, the old preway pipe was probably NOT tested for 2100 deg.
looks like there maybe light at the end of the tunnel. :)

there just happens to be a quad dealer not far from me. think i may take a ride over there tuesday after work.

The quads are nice stoves. They were my first choice.

Then I realized that I was on a beer budget and couldn't afford to support my wine tastes.

-SF

Status
Not open for further replies.